Filter socks

caz2022

Iv been using a filter sock in my sump for as long as I can remember, but I just read on Melevsreefs.com that he doesnt use any type of mechanical filter. I can't figure out how he removes the larger particles of waste. Any clues?

S

saxman

Many folks don't...we go about half and half, depending on how the system is set up. The key to using a sock is to have several on hand and change them out at least bi-weekly. When you're down to the last one, turn them inside out and toss them in the washer (no soap!). Some folks add a little bleach for whiteness, but we don't.

aquaknight

Just different ways to cook an egg. I don't either, no filter sock, no sponge on the return pump, etc. Everything goes down to the skimmer for removal, and what doesn't get removed there, gets send back up (or to the refugium) for removal by pods, worms, corals, etc. Sure eventually I might have to clean out the sump from detritus, but the trade-off is that I never have to worry about about creating some trap in the tank, and I feel there is stronger pod populations (just an opinion, not verified).

acrylic51

Originally Posted by saxman
http:///forum/post/3291705
Many folks don't...we go about half and half, depending on how the system is set up. The key to using a sock is to have several on hand and change them out at least bi-weekly. When you're down to the last one, turn them inside out and toss them in the washer (no soap!). Some folks add a little bleach for whiteness, but we don't.
I use a tad of bleach though!!!!!

caz2022

really, that short? I would think you would want the line running to the bottom so the water runs through the live rock before going over the first baffle

aquaknight

Well, I lied. The overflow on my tank does go about 2"-3" under the water line. Here is a video (click the image below) of how mine works. It's a plumber's Y, the extra bit up, is so air that is sucked down the overflow can escape. I don't have any live rock in my first section, just the skimmer and it's pump, the pump and return for the phosban reactor. Later there will be a Denitrate reactor as well.

caz2022

I really like the "Y" idea, does it cut down on the bubbles that go into the water? Im thinking bout taking a hammer to some of the LR I have and dropping it between the 1st and second baffle (about 1.5") so the water has to run through it. Any thoughts on that idea? Where do you have the return line for your skimmer?