Filter systems

harmston

I have a 240 gallon tank im planning on putting large fish in and i need to know what is a good store bought filter system. And how big it should be. And if anyone knows can you tell me about how much it will cost. thank you

marinerock

HEY HARMSTON,
SEALIFE SYSTEMS 300 GAL. WET/DRY IS AN EXCELLENT
FILTER AND SHOULD RUN ABOUT $250-$300 W/O PREFILTER...
IF YOUR TANK IS DRILLED WITH OVERFLOWS, YOU DO NOT
NEED THE PREFILTER....
REGARDS....
MARINEROCK

harmston

im not sure if it has holes drilled or not, it has not arrived at the store yet. Did i have to ask for the holes to be drilled when i ordered it or will it just come like that. And if it dont have the hole drilled i can still get a wet dry filter.

smuvcrmnal

Hey man, have the store drill the holes for you. Prefilters tend to make a lot of noise if not setup right. Having an overflow inside the tank will eliminate all the noise factors and also keep all of your water movement inside the tank, thus eliminating excess salt creep on the the outside walls. It costs a little more to have the store drill the holes....here in MD it's about $25 per hole and with a tank that size you will need four holes drilled (2-for returns, and 2-for sump intake), but I have found it to be safer and it keeps things out of your tank.....objects that could get into your prefilter cups... Amiracle makes a good wet/dry, but it aint cheap. Try some of the DIY plans for building one, if your are so inclined mechanically. I'm sure that there are is a lot of info on those... ;)