Filteration question

nycbob

that would depend on the size of ur tank. but i hv mine 72 filter at a rate of 400 gph. having more is not a bad thing.

nycbob

i'd get at least 600 gph if not too much lr. but if u hv lots of lr, then a bit less is ok. lr will help a lot w the bio filtration.

reefkprz

OK turn over rate and filtration rate are totally different.
so disregarding turnover, at what rate should your tank be passed through filtration per hour? depends on the type of filtration
filtration types
Chemical = there is no statisticly proven exact rate in wich your tank must be passed through chemical filtration, it would depend on the chemical media or the chemical being filtered out based on media used to reach the optimal rate for that chemical/media
mechanical/particulate= mechanical filtration should be dictated by feeding rate, foods fed, types of foods and so on. AKA fed some flake today, I leave a tube sponge on my overflow for 1/2 hour after feeding,, or I fed plankton so I shut off my skimmer for an hour than turn it back on, again this form of filtration is dictated by your needs
biological =depends on your biological (probably sick of hering depends but) if your running a shallow sand bed your running pure aerobic with the exception of your LR if its large it contains anaerobic/anoxic zones, if your running a DSB you have anoxic zones built into your sand bed. there is no exact answer. sorry.

tinmanny

every time the tides complete a cycle they have completely changed the water
going by this you should have a goal of at least twice a day 100% of your water should have been filtered
Good luck
Manny

you can google filter rates and find a calculator for the pump size to acomplish this
I have seen this calculator and it is very good but I just can't remember where I saw it