FILTERING OPTIONS

rsnyder

Currently my nitrates are around 20ppm and I want to add some some invertebrates. I'm looking for suggestions on filters that could reduce the nitrate count to at least 5ppm. I currently have a 75gal setup right now with a wet/dry filter and thats it. I'm looking to add some cleaner shrimp and probably some snails. Also will they be OK in a FO tank.

captained

I could never get my nitrates below +/-20 until I added a refugium and a bunch of marco algae (I got a Caulerpa "Sampler" w/Umbrella, Razor Ribbon, Notched- I now have zero 'trates.) You wouldn't necessarily need a refugium as long as you don't have any herbivores (tangs, etc.) that would eat your plants.
The shrimp and snails ( I LOVE my cleaner shrimps) will be fine with most, but not all fish. You need to research your fish and see what they like to eat.

swazo

You should go with a mud filter as your sump I am using one and I have not seen any nitrates for the life of my tank and I have never done a water change just vacuumed out the substrate once every month or two but if you don't want nitrates this is the way to go.

jlem

do you have any rock in the tank. what is your substrate. how old is your tank. a fish only tank is usually high in nitrates. until you go to a reef type setup, the nitrates will be there. usually live rock or/and live sand is used for controlling nitrates, but then you need more lights. iF you aclimize your snails and shrimp very slowly they should be okay. Try doing a good water change ang substrate cleaning prior to putting in the live stock to drop your nitrates initialy. clean your filter really good to get out any trapped debree, Do not rinse any bioballs or biowheels with freshwater.

flatfish

Add LR and LS. Ditch the bio balls in the wet dry. If you don't want LR in the main tank keep the LR/LS in the sump. Sure fire way to create a stable system.