filters,power heads,sumps?

catahoulas

I'm a newbie. 1st thread. i've had 2 freshwaters for 4 yrs and think i'm ready to take the plunge into salt. i've read, read, read again. i'm trying to calculate the $ for a 75g
1- glass or acrylic
2- drilled or not
3- filter- fluval?
4-power heads

5- WHAT IS A SUMP? do i need one?
i would like to have reef, lr, ls, fish, stars
can someone guide me.
lfs said - Damsels i know NOT to listen now i'm confused
Thanks a million :notsure:

seasalt101

welcome aboard glass easier to clean, acrylic lighter and 7 times as strong as glass way more expensive and scratches easy. how big a tank if you want corals suggest a sump(where you can put all your equipment out of sight) and a refugium or a combo sump/fuge basicaly smaller tank then your display where you can grow algae raise pods (bugs that are good for you tank) damsels are very aggressive am i missing any more of your questions? this is the best site on the i-net you can learn alot here and though i never have ordered anything from this site all feedback is very positive

seasalt101

drilled is for a reef tank and powerheads are good for water flow you need 10-14 times the rate as tank ie; 100 gal. tank needs 1000 to 1400 gph. and also do not use crushed coral and read thread at top of page 1st thing i wish i knew that covers alot of mistakes that can cost a bundle

catahoulas

Thanks a bunch. iIf I don't do corals do I have to still use a sump? I 've read ALL the thread on 1st p. I've been reading 4 4 days. What about filters? What's a the best.
I wont even go for lighting --- that is another day!!
Thanks again :cheer:

iluvreefs

I would suggest you get a pre-drilled tank and an overflow kit first thing. If you don't have the money for the pre-drilled tank at least get an overflow kit (there are kits that hang over the back of the main tank). I'm in a current situation where I need to purchase an OF kit because I can't get my refug. and main tank to equal out on the water flow. I wish I had known when I started that an OF kit is a MUST! We all learn from our mistakes, but if you're going to go with a sump/refug. you need an overflow kit. I hope this helps.

lazarus

glass v acrylic - one of the most debated topics on this site. a 75g glass will be heavy, and could leak salt deposits. if you are careful w. acrylic, it would be the best option: way stronger than glass, better optical quality, flexibility in design (ie rounded corners), better heat retention, easier to move. but definitely research this further before deciding.
you would not need an OF kit if your acrylic is predrilled, plan this out VERY carefully. a sump will increase your water volume which is always good for water quality and quality of life for fish. most people put the sump below the display tank in a cabinet. plan this out EVEN MORE CAREFULLY as space is at a premium down there and you dont want to redo this after setting it up.
i just finished setting up a 115g acrylic display with a 30g sump in a cabinet. it came out looking great but oh man the lessons i learned along the way.
the best advice of all... GO SLOW! or be prepared to wipe up the floor several times over.
finally, note that many stars are not reef safe. research all purchases before wasting time and money in your tank.

jdecter

I'm in the same boat as you only about 6 months further along. If I knew then what I know now I'd go with this:
The biggest Tank I could afford up front (even if it meant holding off a bit, buying a smaller tank then getting a bigger one later is MUCH more expensive).
Personally I have glass now wish I went acrylic with predrilled for sump system holes already made, and make sure the top holes in the tank are as large as structurally possible as it sucks adding rock, placing fish, corals, and other creatures and general tank maitenance with a small work opening.
Anyone who is accomplished in reefing will tell you sump is the only way to go so start there from the get go.
The most successful modern systems include, sumps with wet to dry sock filters, prefilters in over flows, high current return with these little fittings in the returns for extra water flow (forget the name but their super cheap fittings that suck more water in as the fast water flows through them right before the water releases back out into the tank).
The sump is for extra water in the tank (more water makes it harder to have quick changes in your system, and a good place to do your water maitenance without bugging your happy calm reef tank. It also is where you will want to put algae for added bio filtration, another trick you will learn is how to grow your planktons - they also filter out trates and are the best thing for your reef to eat as this is what they eat in the ocean.
Then the added value of hideing all your ugly heaters, and filters, even your temperature floaties.
Buy a good stand or make one that holds all this stuff in it, buy or make a good hood that has plenty of light space, you will want metal halides, anything less is not only less effecient it doesn't look anywhere near to the light quality and crisp view MH create for you. ( I just switched from PC to MH and will never go back the fish look so much better, hell my sand is prettier!).
Go with LR, even if you make your own for cost (yes you can create your own LR in your own tank but it takes months and months of work but thats another debate). Get at least a pound of Live Rock and a pound of Live Sand per Gallon.
A protien Skimmer is a must have, never buy bio balls, UV filters are debatable but not necessary at all, start slow, never buy more than one new species is my rule. ( After I've successfully kept one of a species and want more I may buy several, specially because several species will attack a second of its kind but not if there are more than 3 in the tank, again another discussion entirely).
Last thing I can think of off the top of my head is 2 things: Fans, 7 to 10 " ones from your local office depot or staples are best and cheapest way to keep your water cool in most situations and keep those MH from heating up the water.
Never listen to your LFS EVER I dont care if he's got a degree in Biology (true story).
and most importantly JOIN YOUR LOCAL REEF CLUBS, they are a life saver (of many aqua species each day) they do lots of local trading with eachother and know all the deals and cheapest routes to success.

stanlalee

1- glass or acrylic
glass
cheaper,more scratch resistant, full access to the top of the tank. unless you have a habit of regularly busting up glass tanks there is no real need for acrylic. supposely acrylic is clearer, lighter, stronger and scratch repairable (claimed but seldom seen in real world practice)
2- drilled or not
drilled. everyone eventually wants a sump. might as well start with one. Why bother with overflow boxes when you can do it right from the beggining. At mt local pet store an AGA non drilled 90g is $234 while an AGA drilled is $247. an overflow box itself is going to cost $50 and up.
3- filter- fluval?
Refugium for reef tanks or fish only or wet/dry for fish only tanks and the use of a protein skimmer is pretty much status quo although nothing wrong with canister filters like a fluval on fish only tanks as long as you stay on top of maintanence and cartridge replacement schedules. still going to want a protein skimmer. thats the only mechanical filtration I have at the moment.
4-power heads
75 gallon at least two in the upper 200's GPH range
5- WHAT IS A SUMP? do i need one?
body of water below the tank circulating thru the tank via drain/overflow (in) and pump (out) back into the tank. can be just a standard tank holding your heater and protein skimmer (or holding nothing just used to increase water volume) but usually its used as a refugium or wet/dry filter as well as housing your protein skimmer, heater ect. you dont need one but its beneficial to have one.

D

davidmwj

Originally Posted by jdecter
A protien Skimmer is a must have, never buy bio balls, UV filters are debatable but not necessary at all, start slow, never buy more than one new species is my rule. ( After I've successfully kept one of a species and want more I may buy several, specially because several species will attack a second of its kind but not if there are more than 3 in the tank, again another discussion entirely).
Why never buy bio balls? Don't the sumps come with them, I have them in mine?