Filtration for 150 gallon all glass

lyngvar

We just got a 150 gallon all glass aquarium. Could someone tell us what kind of filtration system setup to use. We want to make it a fish saltwater tank and also use some live rock in it . Everything we've read so far tells us that most siltration systems are not recommended for all glass. Will someone point us in the right direction. If need be you can email us personally at lyngvar@direcway.com.....Thanks in advance for any info...........Art and Mel

maxalmon

How much money do you have LOL.........Does the tank have a built in overflow? If so I would go with a refugium that matches the size of your tank, protein skimmer and titanium heater. Put as much LR as you can afford in the tank and use LS in a depth of about 2" and you will be fine.

weberian

If you want to go entirely HOB (hang-on-back), which is not really the best way to go, I would get two Emperor 400's and two HOB protein skimmers. You might even need three of each. That's why using a couple overflows and using a wet-dry might be better. You would have bio-balls for biological filtration and a nice protein skimmer to remove DOC (dissolved organic compounds).
"Some Live Rock" is not enough biological filt. if you plan on having a tankful of fish.

M

moatdaddy

i have a 120 gal made of saltwater right now, no issues but i dont use a sump/refugeeum

wieselspor

I just visited a guys with a 125 he had it stocked pretty good and all he had was a fluval 404 canister, also a skimmer ect

saltfan

404??? Ask him what his numbers are. I bet off the chart, the fish (if hardy) will acclimate to some those harsh numbers. But if he was to put in a new fish, I bet it chokes very shortly thereafter.

lyngvar

Right now we have MaxiJet 900 (2 of them), and a Fluval 404 attached to the tank. Right now the reading is stable at 1.023. It's been at that reading for about 2 weeks or so now. Would that still be enough filtration after adding fish? Which we havent started adding anything to the tank yet. I know we still have to invest in a proein skimmer. Any suggestions? You can respond personally to lyngvar@hughes.net Thanks, Art and Mel

saltfan

Skimmer is a good thing. You want at least 12x the turn over rate of the tank. 150g x 12= 1800gph. You can go with 1 Emperor400gph, and a 1600gph pump using a nu-clear canister filter. With the skimmer, thats about all you need. And at least 150lbs of Live Rock. Or 75lbs LR and 75lbs Base Rock.

mjordan23

hey psu where u located and what u got for sale....I got a 125 gallon and im looking to buy an overflow box (maybe CS150 Continuous Siphon Overflow (CPR)) and gonna build a sump/wetdry but if something comes along Ill purchase