Filtration for Octopus

805puffer

Does any one know what kind of filtration a octopus needs, because i heard that they may tear apart the power heads. I don't have an octopus but i just wnated to learn about them. Any info will be helpull Thanks

sharksbait

I have a emporor 400 that I run lots of carbon in and a Precision Marin HOT 1 skimmer on my 75 gallon octo tank.What else would you like to know?

805puffer

I heard they can escape easy. What do you have for a lid and what covers the hoses going to and from the tank.(the heater cord) If i'm going to run a canister filter what would you use to go around the hoses so the octopous don't escape. Thanks

sharksbait

I originally had her in a 36 corner bowfront wiyth a canopy that was lined with astro turf.They do not like the feel of the astro turf so they are repelled by it when they touch it.Now the 75 I have them in I took the astro turf and just lined the top trim with a one inch strip around it and so far no escapes by any of them.Also the lower you keep the rock work,the less likely they are to venture to the top and wonder out.Octopuses have very good eye sight so you want to make sure they can not see any other tanks with fish in them because they may climb out to go feed on fish.

fishieness

yeah, i love octipi. They are one of my fav animans and i wish i had a tank larg enough for one. maybe some day and it would probably be benificial because i would like to be a marine biologist speacializing in them someday (im still a younge-un). But i would worry about them getting out. On the discovery channel ive seen them open lids, and even unscrew jars to make themselves a home. They are cleaver buggers, and quite awsome too.

fishieness

wow. this is makeing me think, how big of a tank would i need for an octopus? What type would be best for the small tanks? of course, he will be the only thing in there besides live rock and such. This isnt even necessarily for any time soon, just in general because some day, i would like one....

sharksbait

If my babies don't make it a bimac will be my next octopus.They are the only ones you can get that are captive raised and are more of a day active species.My Briareus comes out sometimes during the day but she is mostly active at night.

805puffer

what type of heater do you guys use and where do you put it. Do you put it in the tank like a regular saltwater tank or will the octopus destroy it. Sorry for all ?'s, but im interested in them. Thanks

fishy411

Originally posted by 805puffer
what type of heater do you guys use and where do you put it. Do you put it in the tank like a regular saltwater tank or will the octopus destroy it. Sorry for all ?'s, but im interested in them. Thanks

Well octopi are smart therfore get bored. I would put the heater in a sump. Also dont have the intake tubes to a filter in the tank because th eoctopus will liklely destroy it

sharksbait

I have a glass heater inside my octo tank.I don't think one is goin to grab the heater and start swinging round and round.The only problem I have had with filters is that my octo would climb into my emporer 400 to hang out.She did not tear anything up(Its not like they are goin to rip stuff apart)she just liked it because it was dark and secluded.After a few days of pouring cold saltwater in it when she went in she stopped doin it.

sharksbait

Originally posted by 805puffer
what is the minimum size tank for a Bimac octopus?

I don't know what is recommended,but i would say a 55 with hardly any rock or a 75 if you want lots of rock.Bimacs are very active and like to jet around the tank and check stuff out so you will want lots of swimming room as well as cover for them to feel safe.

805puffer

What did you glue your rcks down with or do you have to? Did you use super glue to get the astro turf to stick to the lid to prevent escape? Thanks

sharksbait

I used silicone to put the astro turf around with that way it will be easier to get off if I ever want to.I did'nt glue any of my rocks but i don't have them stacked high at all and they average ahout 6 or 7 pounds apiece.There are some small rocks in the bottom that she will take and stack up but does not move the big ones.

fishieness

this is to anyone who is worried about their octopus breaking the heater.... The tetretec filters have a space in them speacualy for a heater.