Filtration Opinions/Questions

johnny5

Hello all,
My first post!

I bit the bullet and bought a tank/stand this weekend. I have been doing research for a few months and for my situation a 46 bow seems to be the best choice for right now. Im in a 3rd floor apt right now and I usually move yearly so a larger tank is just not feasible for me right now.
I have been burning out the search feature on this forum trying to get all my ducks in a row. I think I have learned much more from the posts here than the books I read initally..
Also, I have seen a ton of newbie questions on the board and do not want to offend anyone by asking a questiont that has clearly been asked before, so I will try to be very specifc.
I am going for a reef system; as much LR as possible, hopefully once matured I will be able to support some hard/soft coral and anemones. Im not into aggressive fish so I would mostly be the reef and a few docile fish. I've even been pondering keeping it true to the reef's here in south florida (limited to local specices), but I am torn on the idea atm (here I go thinking ahead again).
After hours and hours of reading, I still can't decide on the best filtration system for my 46bow. I've basically narrowed it down to two methods..
1) quality hob skimmer/small refugium/canister
-AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer (pro or not to pro?) (~165/~225)
-Aquafuge HOB 12x4x12 refugium (~90)
-Ehiem Plus 265 gph canister (do I even need this?) (~120)
2) sump/refuge/overflow
-Aquafuge Refugium Pro (225)
-TidePoll SOS Prefilter (~70)
-misc parts needed to get water too and fro (~100)
Which do you think is best? I am trying to setup a balanced LR/LS system, hopefully one that is fairly self-sufficent.
Any comments would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!!!
(pic of new oceanic tank/stand is attached)

neoreef

1) quality hob skimmer/small refugium/canister
-AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer (pro or not to pro?) (~165/~225)
-Aquafuge HOB 12x4x12 refugium (~90)
-Ehiem Plus 265 gph canister (do I even need this?) (~120)
2) sump/refuge/overflow
-Aquafuge Refugium Pro (225)
-TidePoll SOS Prefilter (~70)
-misc parts needed to get water too and fro (~100)

Hi, I am not the most experienced person, but I would consider a third choice.
3) quality hob skimmer
refugium and whatever it takes to get water to and fro.
I would skip the canister. Not clear you would need one.
Congratulations on doing your homework. 5t sounds like you have researched the products avalilable. This is a very confusing hobby. I've learned a lot about plumbing, electricity, marine biology and water chemistry from having a measly 55 gal!
Good Luck! and let's hear from some other folks, before you take my advice! --Kathy

johnny5

Yep, im starting to think the can would be useless to me.. atleast for now. The eheim plus can's look cool, and I would think it would be beneficial for pod growth.. but I dont really need to worry about that until I start populating the tank. Which will not be for a few weeks.
I think I'll get the Remora Pro and the HOB refuge, and spend more on LR and lights. Then if I want to upgrade to a sump later that will be a add-on and wont effect the existing system.
That aquafuge pro looks nice, but I think its a little on the expensive side. Even the ---- price is high. Im no magiver, but I think I could fab something for cheaper.
Does anyone have any suggestions on 36" light kits?

neoreef

Hi Johnny5,
Let's keep this post front and center so other folks will reply. I am not a long time keeper, so I don't have a ton of experience.
If I were starting out, though, there are a couple of things I would do differently.
Since you are considering a refugium, you may want to check into getting your tank drilled before you set up. I wish I had done that. Sometimes your LFS will do that for a fee. An overflow box is a nice thing too.
best of luck to you,
Kathy