Filtration/plumbing ?

reefer75

Hello all,
I just picked up my new/used 150 gallon tank. My problem is that I am not sure how it shold be plumbed for the sump. The tank is drilled, but it is drilled with both holes at the top right of the tank about 2 or 3 inches below the top.. (along the back) Any suggestions on plumbing and pump sizes would be great.
Thanks
Reefer75

reefer75

The dimensions are 72x18x26, and the distance will be about 50" frome the return pump to top return of the tank

chris17

What kind of tank will it be, an agressive, FOWLR, softies, LPS, SPS, or mixed reef? How big will your sump be? This will make a dif in how big of a pump to get along with alternative flow ( powerheads ect...)

snakeblitz33

That's easy... put in a couple of bulkheads in the holes. Make sure the bulkheads have female threads. Then you can

[hr]
in a 90* elbow into both of those bulkheads. You then

[hr]
in a couple of male adaptors, and then elbow the drains down to the drainage section of your sump. You may have to add a couple of bioballs to keep the draining noise down to a minimum.

reefer75

It will be a FOWLR, I do have the bulkheads and elbows in place, I am not sure how high the drainage flow will be, and how much of a return to have.

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by reefer75
http:///forum/post/2841339
It will be a FOWLR, I do have the bulkheads and elbows in place, I am not sure how high the drainage flow will be, and how much of a return to have.
How much flow through the bulk head into the sump will depend on the size (ex. 1" or 1.5" ) of the bulk head and PVC tubing down ( ex. if you used any reducers ). What size are they ?

snakeblitz33

Well, I'll give you an example...
With two 3/4" bulkheads, you have enough drainage power to drain a mag drive 7 at 3 1/2 foot of head.

reefer75

The bulkheads and elbows were already attatched when I bought the tank, I believe they are both 3/4" bulks that have elbows that reduce to 1/2". Will this work, or should I replace the bulkheads as the elbows are glued in, and start over to get a better flow.

reefer75

This is to give a better idea of what I have. The bulkheads are open and flush inside the tank. Then the elbows are on the backside facing down.

ilovemytank

You'll be fine with that. Just make sure that you have pumps in strategic spots to have good circulation. The return pump at the end will not be enough by itself.

reefer75

I have other pumps for circulation, but know my last question is, Will the water level stay at the bulkheads, or can I keep my level above the bulkheads?

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by reefer75
http:///forum/post/2842976
I have other pumps for circulation, but know my last question is, Will the water level stay at the bulkheads, or can I keep my level above the bulkheads?
Good question, I don't know.
What you can do is have an elbow and pipe up to increase the water hight if no one else can give you a better answer than;" I don't know"

robertmathern

use a couple of bio balls on the overflows. It will stop fish and stuff from getting in there. If you dont have any give me your address I will mail you a few. I have 2 shopping bags full that I dont use.