Filtration Questions

reeferdude

I am about to buy a 120 gallon tank. I built a wet/dry by putting a little rubbermaid full of bio balls with holes in the top and bottem inside a larger box used as a sump. I need to know what sized pumps i am gonna need to buy and if i need any other filtration stuff. I plan on putting 2 small sharks in (I know thats way too small for sharks so dont even start.)

bluemarlin

If you know its way too small then why are you doing it?
Sharks are very messy and generate a ton of waste. What do you plan on using other then this DIY wet/dry? Are youo planning on any LR or LS in the tank? How experienced of a fishkeeper are you?

I think you opened yourself up for some bad replies for this topic.
So, you are going to put 2 sharks into a 120 gal., knowing that they they cannot survive.
It says in your profile that you have only been doing this hobby for 2 months.
I have a simple question:
WHY?
Sorry, but until you re-think this, I cannot offer help on this one.
I really do not want to offend a new person, and wish you well. I just can't help to kill a shark.
Get at least a 250 gallon or more tank for ONE shark. Reasearch all you can. This is the best advice I can give.

fallen04

what kind of sharks and how big are they now? the more water you move the better. i am a realist if you want something you are going to get it regardless of what anyone says and the more you get beat down about it the better chance you will get it today so here is some advice. with sharks and i have one they like alot of water movement also the more filtration you have the better. on my 240 i have almost 400 gallons of filtration between canisters and wet/dry. train them to be fed by hand using silversides for the small ones and smelt for the larger that will reduce any mess during feeding. you cant limit the amount of waste so just watch for it and clean accordingly. keep the water quality high and you should be ok. sharks as a rule dont do to well in home systems. everyone talks about size but realitically saltwater fish almost never live long enough to reach their true full size.

fshhub

sorry, bu t i really hafta disagree with that last thread, b/c IMO in a sw aquarium, most fish(if properly cared for) live much longer than the majority in the ocean, howw many blue tangs, live for a decade and a half in the reef??, less than .001% make it to 2 inches, and even less make it to 5 adn now when you ge tto the fot range, teh percentage is even much lower, now in the home, a properly cared for hippo tang will almost always live for at least a couple of years, making it to at least 5 or 6 inches, adn this can and does keep going
other than that, i do agree with what was said about sharks, adn sharks do not often do well in aquariums, mostly b/c the keepers are not adequately prepared for their particular needs, talk to risc(in our aggressive forum), he has several sharks and knows how to rear them

reeferdude

I am hatching 2 sharks and have NO intentions on keeping them in a 120 for life. I am currently drawing up plans for a 500 gallon in wall tank it just that i need time to save up for it. And as for my experience I have a ten gallon tank with 5 damsels, a clarkii clown and 3 cleaner shrimp in it and have managed to keep it up for 4 months now with no problems. So please just tell me if a wet/dry with 3 gallons of bioballs, 45 lbs of live rock and 50 lbs of live sand will be sufficient for 2 BABY sharks.

OK, here is what I need to know. What size is the wetdry - sump? Is this going to be under the tank? What type of plumbing are you planning, and how many bends are you going to have when it is going to be set up. This will determine how much volume you are going to be pushing.
I would get a bit more live rock, and 50 lbs. of live sand is barely going to cover the bottom of the tank.
As for my saying something about your experience, it says in your profile 2 months, not 4.

reeferdude

It says two months cause i dont update it every month. The sump is 50 gallons and the box of bioballs will hold three gallons. It is going to sit in my closet right behind my tank and i am going to have 4 90's and using PVC piping. If you have any sug. please post them!!!!! (But none about sharks PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)