Filtration System

julied

I need some advice please! We have a 35g corner tank with about 30lbs of established LR. We've had an established tank for a couple of years now and can't keep fish alive. Ironically, we have this little lobster that seems to be doing well, and he's the only thing that has survived our many losses. We're starting over and learned that we should add a protein skimmer and change our city water to R/O. We have a Cascade 700 filtration system. I went to the store to buy a protein skimmer and was told our Cascade is the worst product and we should buy this new system that has the protein skimmer with it. The system is the Rapids Pro, made by Tom Aquatics. It has the pump, skimmer, carbon, bio balls, airpump etc. What do you think? Do we need this whole new setup--or just a protein skimmer?

dawman

I have a Cascade 700 for 4 years and has been great . What are the ph , Ammonia , Nitrite , and Nitrate levels ? R/O and a skimmer help a lot but you should have been able to keep fish before you get the R/O or skimmer . .

julied

Our levels have been in the correct range according to our tests and our store's test. We even brought a sample to a second store to confirm. We tested many times.
The frustrating thing is that we just would like a few fish, nothing fancy or challenging. A tank is so soothing, and the children love to look at it. The odd thing is that our lobster (little purple and orange guy--can't remember its name) has survived. He can't be the culprit for all of the fish deaths because he wasn't around until several had already died. I really think it was lack of proper maintenance that killed our fish.
We are starting over, using R/O instead of regular tap, for instance. Is it true that if we want a reef tank we cannot use a canister system, even with a protein skimmer? Should we keep the canister and purchase just the skimmer, or buy this all-in-one system that contains:
Tom Aquarium Products, Rapids Pro System PS3
Mechanical Filter Media
Protein Skimmer
Bio Balls Media
1000 GPH Pump
Acitvated Carbon
Stellar Plus Air Pump
Aqua Lifter Pump
Surface Skimmer Overflow