Filtration

jnrom

I am going to be starting a reef aquarium w/ a few fish. I've had a fish only tank in the past. My tank is 55 gal. I plan to use live sand/rock. I was wondering how you all feel about using wet/dry filtration in the canister form. Is this as good as wet/dry filtration by itself? I had a wet/dry filter in the past and worried about it flooding all the time. Thanks for any help. :confused:

birdy

Well for a reef with a few fish, you may just want to build a sump with caulerpa refugium. A wet/dry or a cannister may contribute to nitrate problems in the future, If you have a deep sand bed (4"-6") and 1.5-2lbs of rock per gallon of water, and a good skimmer your filtration should be fine.

A

alti

i have an eheim 2227 wet/dry canister filter on my 30 gal reef. i use it with no media just for circulation. to be honest, i would never use any media in a canister on a saltwater system. they collect way too much crap in them and are a real pain to properly maintain. i like the wet/dry canisters because they provide a strong and alternating waterflow in my small tank. and id rather look at the return tube instead of 2 or 3 bulky powerheads in the tank.