filtration

I had the emperor 400 on my 55 before i went to a full blown reef. I was happy with mine, i liked being able to use different media with the cartridges. Easy to clean, low cost reliable filter IMO.

brinkdrum

I have a Marineland Biowheel 330 and a Marineland hot magnum. Works great for me. I see no reason to get canisters for a reef when you are using your LR as the main source of filtration. Some people even just use the Berlin method. So why waste your money on expensive filters, when you can buy more essential things for your reef? Good luck!

fshhub

mine works great.
took out all the media and ran it like that for a couple years now. Makes a great adn expensive powerhead. If you are using LR and a DSB, youdo no t need a conventional filter, a good bio filter will work better without one. JMEO

rblovell

Well it seems like I madea good decision to change from the eclipse system that I had. Only problem is I am having a hard time keeping the diatoms away even with R/O water.

T

thomas712

Melody - If you are thinking of me in that confusion, I usually recommend them as good filters, especially when someone is using crushed coral or has no other means to run carbon. Like fshhub says with lots of liverock and DSB you would need one less, but I would still say have one to run carbon in unless you have some other means.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Melody - Ah I see the confusion now, I was talking about the Penquin 400's not canisters.
Thomas