fin rot on goby and clowns

nw2salt08

HELP!!!! I went in to check on my fish and noticed that their fins are starting to rot away....What should I use to correct this?? I have some stuff that I use in my freshwater tank but it says not to use in reef tanks....

al mc

I have used a product called RALLY, but would only do so in a hospital tank (HT) that contained no invertebrates or live rock.

sepulatian

Can you get a picture of this? Are the fins jagged looking with bloody streaks or is it clean looking? What all do you have in this tank?

nw2salt08

NO bloody streaks...very clean but jagged. Not much left of the first fin on my goby and my female clownfish is showing the same on her right front fin. I have a mated pair of yellow striped maroons, pink spotted goby, pink brittle starfish, 5 mini brittle starfish, 12 hermits and 6 turbo snails. Red leather, mushrooms, two zoa frags, bristle worms, duster worms and sponges. Water parameters are pristine. I'll try to get pics when the lights are on.

nw2salt08

Ok, so went to the lfs and they recommended Melafix. Bought some and put it in my tank. We'll see how this goes. That's what they use every time and that's where the fish came from so should be ok.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/2778432
Ok, so went to the lfs and they recommended Melafix. Bought some and put it in my tank. We'll see how this goes. That's what they use every time and that's where the fish came from so should be ok.
Melafix is safe. It is very mild though. If it is an infection (it actually sounds like aggression to me but I cannot be certain without a picture) then the fish will need stronger treatment in a cycled quarantine tank.

nw2salt08

Do you really think they're being aggressive?? I mean, I haven't seen them not getting along. My clowns have already been paired since before I bought them and the goby has never bothered either one. He sticks around the bottom of the tank and stays away from them. I'm not ruling it out because I guess it could be happening while I'm asleep. They definitely aren't doing it while I'm awake.

sepulatian

Can you get a picture up for us to see? The reason that it sounds like aggression to me is because the fins are clear. If they were clouded or streaked with red then I would say it was an infection. If it is clean chunks missing then it is aggression.

nw2salt08

I've been trying to get a good pic since this thread started and I can't. Either the fish are too active and can't catch the wound or in the case of the goby...he doesn't present his fins. They're laying flat so you can't really see them.
It probably is aggression then.... so what do I do about this when I don't know who the aggressor is???

nw2salt08

The larger...Juliet. Romeo is just fine...no damage. My goby's fin is looking a little better today.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2780410
The larger...Juliet. Romeo is just fine...no damage. My goby's fin is looking a little better today.
Hm, it isn't usually the male that gets aggressive. It is usually the female when she is changing or ready to mate. It is usually safe to look at whichever fish has no damage to figure out who is being a bully. With the fish that you have, I don't see it being a problem for long. They are all compatible.

nw2salt08

That's what I figured. Probably just a lover's spat between the two. And the goby..well, he just got beat up to get beat up. lol Probably a territory issue with him. I watched him today when they were feeding and he was really making an effort to hide from the clowns. My guess is they're picking on him. Poor Skippy. Sorry, I have names for my fish.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2780428
That's what I figured. Probably just a lover's spat between the two. And the goby..well, he just got beat up to get beat up. lol Probably a territory issue with him. I watched him today when they were feeding and he was really making an effort to hide from the clowns. My guess is they're picking on him. Poor Skippy. Sorry, I have names for my fish.
Every one of my fish have names. I have Sir Quizzy who is the hawk in my avatar, Leo the Zebra lion, Mr. Lion is my fuzzy dwarf, my pair of maroons are Bonnie and Clyde, and I haven't named my new puffer yet. I just got him though.
Just keep an eye on your fish. The fins will heal easily if they are healthy.

nw2salt08

I'm usually very aware of what's going on in my tank. I look at it every day multiple times. It's definitely a tank that I'm very proud of. I continue to learn something new every day and it's somewhat of a challenge..but a welcomed challenge. Very rewarding. They are very healthy fish. This is the first thing that's happened that was questionable for me. I'm so used to keeping freshwater that most of it's questionable. lol I still have a 60 gal freshwater tank and I don't have to spend near as much time devoted to it. But then again all that's really in there is my Albino Oscar and a pleccostimus and a few plants. lol Usually when there's an issue with fins in a tank setup like that it's fin rot. I'll have to make sure that these guys get along...which I figure will happen just with some time.

sepulatian

It is always best to ask if you are not sure. Most infections come from an open injury or poor water quality. If the fish are healthy then they can heal themselves from even cuts and scrapes. I am glad that you are enjoying this hobby!

nw2salt08

I'm enjoying it so much that next Friday I'm going to setup my 55gallon tank that's out in my garage and get it cycling...very excited. My husband has gone tank crazy. lol We have two tanks sitting out in the garage waiting to be setup for saltwater. Both 55g. Once we can find a good home for my oscar and pleccostimus that 60g will be cleaned and turned into another saltwater. lol Lots of saltwater tanks. The only issue we've hit is trying to decide on the filtration system and the in's and out's. We didn't setup the tank that we have now. Our lfs did. So we don't know the first thing about the plumbing and all that fun stuff. But we're willing to tackle it and I think my hubby is planning on asking our store owner if he could help us with it.

sepulatian

Ask in the equipment forum on here or in the DIY forum. The people over there are great and will walk you through it. Best of luck to you! We look forward to some pictures when everything is settled