Finally got the go ahead from my wife...

geridoc

I have a 2 year old 220 gallon system with an under-tank sump fitted with 2 gals of bioballs, a skimmer, an algae scrubber and pumps for the scrubber, the return, the chiller and the skimmer. It is impossible to work in the sump, there is no room, and all of the pumps listed are submerged in the sump (hence, the chiller). I have a 110 gallon tank and stand in the garage, and my wife has finally given me the go ahead to set it up in the basement as a sump and to plumb it through the floor into the tank, which is upstairs in the living room. Right now I am in the planning stage, and would appreciate any ideas, plans, diagrams, links etc. for the system. I am thinking about using two return pumps connected through bulkheads to the sump since noise is no longer an issue, and this might allow me eliminate the expensive-to-run chiller. Given the large size of the tank in the basement, I am also thinking that I could install a refugium as well, although I don't need macroalgae since I have an effective LED-algae scrubber. Thanks in advance for your advice.

benter

Only thing I could think of to warn you about and you may have already taken into consideration is the head on the pumps and sizing them properly...15' of lift on an aquarium pump is getting up there especially if you are using small diameter pipe...

geridoc

I plan on using 2 Mag-18 pumps. Each is rated at 575 GPS @ 15 feet, which I think should be ok.

2quills

May be pushing the limits just a bit on the mag 18's at 15". That's their cut off point and you still have to factor in extra resistance for elbows in the run. Do you have an approximate length in run already? Strait shot up?
You can always alleviate a few feet by putting the sump on a stand.

benter

I was going to say you are going to have to take friction losses and the tdh that your pump is seeing, (total dynamic head), not trying to get technical but i do make my living by selling and servicing pumps for municipalities for the last 30 years. If you can send me some info on pipe size, and the lift in feet from your pump discharge to where it enters your tank I may can help you...but if you are moving water 15' you are probably looking at a little giant or something of those sorts...

benter

iI just looked at the specs on a md 18 and its shutoff head is 16.4 ft. So at 15' even with the md 18 you might be moving 175 gph at the most...

benter

Here are some little giant specs and you can see that even using the little giants you are probably going to need the 5.5-mdq-sc and I would even increase the discharge pipe size to 1" instead of 3/4" to decrease the back pressure a little...

Model 5.5 does not include electrical cord.
MDQ recommended for pressure setups (i.e. in-line pressure filters).
MDQX recommended for free flow setups (i.e. direct return, wet/drys).

Model

Max
Head

Max
GPH

Inlet
(FPT)

Outlet
(MPT)

Watts

2-MDQ-SC

14.4 ft

1/2"

1/2"

3-MDQ-SC

18.0 ft

3/4"

1/2"

3-MDQX-SC

14.0 ft

1"

1"

4-MDQ-SC

24.3 ft

1"

1/2"

4-MDQX-SC

17.0 ft

1"

1"

5.5-MDQ-SC

44.0 ft

1"

3/4"

Please click on "More Information"
for tips on installation and maintenance and flow chart.

geridoc

iI just looked at the specs on a md 18 and its shutoff head is 16.4 ft. So at 15' even with the md 18 you might be moving 175 gph at the most...
Thanks, you got me rethinking the whole return pump issue. I'm now leaning towards using a Reeflow Hammerhead pump. It looks more than sufficient, and they seem to have a good reputation.