finger leather getting lighter in color

reefboy1994

i bought a finger leather a few weeks ago and it has been getting lighter the last week. it is under 4 54 watt t5s. 2 10,000k and 2 actinics. they are the ones that came with the fixture (nova extreme slr). the coral is in a 110 gallon tank and is about 8-12 inches under the light. is it in the right position in the tank?

nissan577

yea. finger leathers need light but the position of it seems good. did you raise it up higher? also is it getting good flow? and what are your tank params?

valgae

it was probably under mh's before you got it. a color change will happen. mine was under pc's before i got it. i have a 250mh it went from a brown top and yellow base to a pinkish top and pale yellow base.

nycbob

as long as the polyps r extended during the day, and the leather looks healthy, color change isnt much of a concern.

sman

Mine was weird when I first got it, like nycbob said as long as the polyps are open your good, if there not, get it in some more flow.

reefboy1994

the polyps are allways open during the day, so iguess i dont have to worry. I bought it from a pet store that runs t5s so it is the same lighting. I have to blow stuff like poop off the leather twice a day because it allways lands on the coral and stays there. The tank has good flow but the coral is not in direct flow. do i need to put in direct flow?

coralreefer

dont put it in direct flow.
and also, the store where you purchased it could have had a T5 fixture with more bulbs or individually reflected ones. that would make a difference in color in your tank.