Fire shrimp just hatched, dietary and habitat help needed

barracuda1

I bought a mated fire shrimp pair some time ago with the intention of breeding them, however, last night I looked into my tank and saw many baby shrimps, had no idea they had even laid eggs. so I captured only 10 and put them in a half liter fish bowl with tank water. Now, there is nothing in the bowl except an air pump on for about 5 min. the temp. is fine. So, is this set up sufficiant Also the internet recomends live baby brine shrimp which I am hatching but can I just feed them frozen plankton for now

barracuda1

thanks for the encouragement, but the thing in, these things are so small that if they were to fight a baby brine shrimp that was one day old, there is a 50% chance it would lose

texasmetal

Zooplankton, phytoplankton, cyclopseeze, skip the brine. I'd suggest putting in some macroalgae of sorts. They seem to do well in a refugium type setting.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
http:///forum/post/2844957
Zooplankton, phytoplankton, cyclopseeze, skip the brine. I'd suggest putting in some macroalgae of sorts. They seem to do well in a refugium type setting.
yep.. that's what I'd do too.

bang guy

This is a lot more difficult that it would seem. Food isn't a problem, they eat almost anything and they can chew on a piece of food much bigger than themselves. The problem is that they are so delicate that even a bump against the glass will give them a fatal injury.
Just hatch Baby brine are fine. Make sure the tank is lit from the top, this will bring the food to the surface where the shrimp larvae like to hang out.

bang guy

Let me rephrase that.
It varies wildly depending on temp, food, health, moon phase, etc
?
It's about 45 days for Peppermints in my experience, about 60 days for Scarlet, although I've only managed to get one past larval stage. It was about 90 days when my Fire Shrimp finally disappear. I guess 90 days only because if they're going to disappear it usually happens near their final larval molt.
It could be less it could be more. My guess is 90 days.