firefish tail fin

neoreef

Hi,
I acquired 2 purple firefish from my LFS about 2 weeks ago. One was perfect, and one has a chunk missing from the end of his tail. I did not know this when I bought him. Although he is more shy than his brother, he is eating and is not pestered by the other fish in the tank. I think he is doing better, and it may be my imagination, but I think his tail is growing back. Is there anything else I can do for him besides excellent water quality, and making sure he eats regularly? He is in a soft reef tank with lots of live rock, where he hides when he wants to, so moving him to a QT is not too practical. I would have to tear the whole tank apart to get him.
SG 1.023-.024
dKH 10
Ca 450
pH 8
ammon, nitrite, nitrate all 0
limited hair algae,
more and more coraline algae
55gal tank has been going nicely for 6 months.
I top off every other day, and change 10% weekly using Milli-Q water that I get from my lab.
Any advice would be most appreciated! Thanks!

debra w-c

I've had excellent results with treating a firefish with a torn fin with Melafix and stress coat for one week. I put him in QT and I'm sure I would put Melafix in my main tank, but it is reef safe....
Tail is fine and no problems with the recovery.
I think this is common when they are kept in tight quarters, they tend to feud over space...
Best of Luck,
Debra:jumping:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He is doing just fine and doesn't require treatment. Personally, I wouldn't use any type of medication in a reeftank.
High quality nutrition will go a long way for this little fish. :D