firefish

bergamer

It is my understanding that firefish are reefsafe
is this true?
and what is there temperment?their eyes remind me of my purple psuedochromis that I had to get rid of bc of aggressivenes

nicetry

They are among the most peaceful fish you could place in a tank. Most are timid and spook easily. I've kept several over the years and they are anything but aggressive.

durabane

I have 3 in my reef and they are my secound favorite fish they dont school but they will hang out with each other and make a very nice display in any size tank
Durabane

nm reef

Very peaceful fish....a bit shy....and spend a lot of time in hiding....but they can have a sort of mean look......I'd attach a pic of mine but the feature is having problems currently.

saltydog

Originally posted by bergamer
It is my understanding that firefish are reefsafe
is this true?
and what is there temperment?their eyes remind me of my purple psuedochromis that I had to get rid of bc of aggressivenes

Great reef fish. As said earlier, they do spook easiliy and they are jumpers. You may want a hood on the tank.
-Salty

ssweet1

I started with 4 and now have 1 They can jump straight through light grid as if it wasnt even there!! Also they hide in the evening so make sure you feed them in the morning because they are timid and will not eat if faster fish are hogging all the food. Mine love flakes and frozen brine. They are a really pretty fish though, I think. They also have a purple firefish but I sorta prefer the red firefish myself. Carrie

himandher

I have a purple one, he is beautiful. Very peaceful, and very shy. They are very quick! he hides a lot, but I get to see him everyonce in awhile. I feed my fish a fresh variety that I prepare myself, and he eats that readily. I also read that they have a sort of filter feeding ability as well. So dont be surprised if you dont actually see him eat. Dont be surprised if you dont see them that much at all.

bergamer

:nope:
I just bought the purple and the red
I think Im going to take one back bc I am nto seeing them at all.
I just thought it was bc I just added them to the tank.
But in a reef tank I think it is best to have all fish taht you can see since you are limited in the number of fish taht you can keep
The purple one i caught eating marine plankton when I put a dose in
the red one I have not seen at all

durabane

mine took about 2 weeks to learn my reef and get used to their new surroundings now they are out cept for when the lights are off.

spe934

I have a red firefish. I really like the coloring for such a smaller and "cheap" fish. After putting him in my tank, I didn't ever SEE him for over a week. I thought the little guy was dead somewhere. He comes out a little bit more now, but still make a run for it when someone approaches the tank. I have to be real still when I want to take pictures of him. Other than the shyness, I think it makes a good addition to the tank.

edo

can you have both purple firefish and the normal red firefish in the same tank? I have 2 red in my 46 G and may want to consider adding a purple as well. They are shy, but great.

sweetreef

i have a pair as well awsome little fish i think a must for a reef tank mine have there own little cave as times goes on they come out more and more mine are out now about 80% of the time and they stay paired up as well some say they are not happy just buy there selfs so it nice to get a pair..

nm reef

here is the pic I tried to post yesterday....
mine still hides a lot during the day but I know where he lives and he always comes out at feeding time.....check out the "attitude" on his face...thinks he is bad and rules the reef.....

jam marine

hi all i actually have 3 reds ,3 purple in my display,the reds stay out more than the purple,but closer to feeding time they all come out,the purple are really colourful