First post

jp30338

Hello everyone,
I an new to the saltwater hobby and have a question.
I currently have a 125g FOWLR setup that has been cycling for 2 weeks. Plan on letting it cycle for another 2 weeks as my lfs, will not sell me any fish until then...lol
Question: I have not been able to really find any definitive advice on what a proper size tank is required for a blue spotted ray. I have read from 75-150g. I unsderstand the get approx. 13inches. I plan on having a porc puffer, radiata lion, hopefully zebra eel?, a clown or 2, and an angel or 2. What about a 1 tang?
Also, what order should I put them in due to their aggression?
Any advice is appreciated.

sickboy

Originally Posted by jp30338
http:///forum/post/2737684
Plan on letting it cycle for another 2 weeks as my lfs, will not sell me any fish until then...lol
Sorry I have no idea about your actual question, but WOW, what a responsible lfs! Just blows my mind! Wish they were like that around here.

rort

Originally Posted by jp30338
http:///forum/post/2737684
Hello everyone,
I an new to the saltwater hobby and have a question.
I currently have a 125g FOWLR setup that has been cycling for 2 weeks. Plan on letting it cycle for another 2 weeks as my lfs, will not sell me any fish until then...lol
Question: I have not been able to really find any definitive advice on what a proper size tank is required for a blue spotted ray. I have read from 75-150g. I unsderstand the get approx. 13inches. I plan on having a porc puffer, radiata lion, hopefully zebra eel?, a clown or 2, and an angel or 2. What about a 1 tang?
Also, what order should I put them in due to their aggression?
Any advice is appreciated.
depends on the size of the clowns you will get but get them bigger... if they are too small they are goners!
You could do what you are saying but not everything. a 125g isnt enough to hold everything you listed. You can probably get away with most of your choices but just be careful about their size as they all get pretty big!
I have never had a ray but I know that you really need to have a lot of swimming space. A lot of the 125's I have seen dont really allow for a larger ray... JMHO
I am not the most experience but there are people on this board that can give you advice from experience!
I have a new small puffer and love him!
Good luck!

bruner54

you should not put a ray in a 125 the other thing is the porc puffer will most likely nip at the lionfishs fins and i dont think 2 angels is a good idea either but you could do the zebra eel and you could do a tang and if you get the clownfish to small they will be lunch for the lionfish.

jp30338

Thanks for all the responses! I ahve been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now, as well as another and this site is certainly the best so far IMO.

I think I will not be getting the ray now. I also feel it would need more room to swim around, so thanks for the input! They are cool animals tho.

jp30338

Originally Posted by sickboy
http:///forum/post/2737762
Sorry I have no idea about your actual question, but WOW, what a responsible lfs! Just blows my mind! Wish they were like that around here.
I was trying to decide if my tank would be large enough for a ray..
About the lfs though. Yea the guy there and his 2 associates are GREAT! He sold me the complete setup for dirt cheap, used but still dirt cheap and all works great. Whenever I come in to buy a fish I have to bring him a sample of my water, and he keeps track of what I buy to make sure they will be compatible and such. They have lots of "regulars" that come in and he wil negoiate on all prices if you continually buy from him. He also has the CHEAPEST Fiji LR of any store around Atlanta at $3.50/lb.