First rule of buy fish

mr. limpid

For my Birthday, my son took me to LFS, were I got more LR and a chocolate star fish. First addition in over 2 years. There were 3 in the tank and 2of them looked fine the guy of course grabbed the one that was stuck to the front of the glass which I didn't see. When getting home I noticed that one of the chips were white not black. Acclimated him added to the tank (came from a fish-less system) stared roaming the tank. The next day put him on a half shell clam he almost ate it all, then my butterflies scared it off. Later that evening noticed that the white spot was gone and was replaced by a hole. The next day found him with half of it leg had been eaten and the butterflies wouldn't leave it a alone. Figuring moving or leaving it was going to die either way. Next morning it was dead. So again I was reminded when buying anything always look over your purchase.

mjtech12

Hey Limpid it sounds like your description of what happened wasn't because of the white spot falling off and creating a hole in it it looks like your butterflies harassed it to its bitter end I guess butterflies and stars don't make a good pair I have two heneochas butters and they fight with everyone

mr. limpid

I have a Saddle back and a lattice, they on occasion fight with each other but never with anyone else. First time adding a star with them, not going to do that again.

flower

Hi,
Bummer of a story, I like ordering on-line...you can't beat that 14 day guarantee.

mr. limpid

I don't think they would of honored it because the butterflies ate him. 1 leg gone and the other severely nibbled at.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/395153/first-rule-of-buy-fish#post_3517572
I don't think they would of honored it because the butterflies ate him. 1 leg gone and the other severely nibbled at.
The white spot woud have been enough for me to quarantine the critter....then you would know if the critter was sick, or as ocean creatures do...got eaten before it was all the way dead.