first saltwater tank..need some tips and advice.

cpluta118

This is my first salt tank,like many others i have fresh tanks all my life and always wanted a salt. I have been doing research for about the past month on everything that is needed in a salt tank. I just have a few questions about some stuff.
First is the lighting, I dont plan on getting any hard corals at first but mayb later. I was thinking about some VHO lights for my 55gal. From what i read they are descent for for keeping corals longterm. Are VHO jsut a type of bulbs or do i need a special "housing" for them or what are some better options for lighting?(im a little lost on the lighting portion of my tank setup)
Second is what is the best filtration system for a 55gal reef/fish setup
. I was thinking of a sump(is a refuige necessary or just a benefit) Also what would be a good protein skimmer for my 55gal?
Third, what are the difference of the corals(SPS,hard,mushrooms,ect..)
Fourth, is a reef/fish set up a good choice for a beginner or should i stick with a coral or fish setup?
Also if anybody could give me a little bit of more info on more than the basics of a saltwater setup.
Thank You, your input will be appreciated.

subielover

In the new hobbyist section, there are 3 or 4 stickies at the top. Read through them, there are answers to all of your questions. Or you could just use the search button as well...welcome to swf

fishkid13

A fish only is best for begineers, but I would go with a mixture of both. Tip, don't get damsels as starter fish, they are easy but can be very aggersive.
WELCOME!

cpluta118

Thank you.Alite will do ill read them...jsut goe back from the fish store and i think img going t ogo with some T-5 HO lights or mayb a T-5 HO/CF combo

naclfish

Welcome Welcome Welcome... and good luck. this will consume you trust me saltwater reefs and tanks are way more addictive and expensive than a drug habit. but it pretty much comes down to cash the more you have up front and to work with can make it easy. my advice read read and read some more. if u see a filter system you like look it up same with lights and fish and coral. the more time you put into reaserch the less head aches you will have.

naclfish

heres some basic set up advice. use RO it will help avoid some nasty blooms that may result from tap water. DONT BUY LIKE 50lbs of live sand if you decide to use it seed dead sand with like 5lbs. same goes with rock order a nice package of it but you can prob find some nice dead rock for like 1.25 a lbs stack it up mix it in toss in some purple up kick on the lights good to go. after a few months in my last tank i cant tell the diff from the live rock i bought and what just became. LET YOUR CYCLE TAKE ITS TIME DONT RUSH!!!!! very important. and never never get a damsel and dont ever go back to a store that trys to sell you one to "cycle" the rock and sand do that. toss in a shrimp from your freezer to speed things up. Avoid all the magic cures in bottles waste of time and money and think about it if u want a natural reef why would u dump 15 diffrent chemical mix's in it. find a salt mix that buffers Ca+ one less head ache. and most of all have fun.

cpluta118

with the dead rock do u mean just ne rock that is good for the bacterial growth(i.e. a lot of little holes n crevices and surface area?)