First Set-up

jkoz24

I am currently looking to start my FIRST saltwater aquarium. I'm looking for as much help/advice that I can get. I'm looking at getting a 75 to 100 gal. aquarium, but as far as filtration and heating I'm kinda at a loss because everyone I talk to has a different opinion.Also I'm only looking to do fish only. Please let me know what to look for when purchasing everything I need to get started so that I can be an educated buyer and not just an easy mark for the fish store. Thanks...Jkoz

darknes

Well, you've come to the right place to find advice....lots of information on the boards if you search around.
Now, there's nothing really special you need to do for a heater. Just get one that's rated for your aquarium size. Durable, submersible ones are always nice; you'd hate for the heater to break and cook all your expensive fish.
Other equipment you are going to want to look into and buy: Test kits (at least Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, pH), a hydrometer or reftactometer (to measure the salinity), live rock for biological filtration, and a protein skimmer (one of the more important parts to a saltwater tank, IMO).
The protein skimmer will be your main filtration, and to filter the larger particles and add flow, I would recommend any other filter really....one that would hang on the back, or a cannister, or wet/dry.

beavis4040

U also need a few powerheads for current/water flow. for a 75G tank (I have the sam size) you need min 75lbs of Live Rock, I have about 100, and I also have about 80lbs of sand bed, I used Argonite. You may want to look at a SUMP/FUGE system as well. Again, protien skimmer is deffinatly important, and a canaster will help as well. thermomiter for temp...that covers most of it! hehe heh heh enjoy spending!!