First Tank: 29 gallon pictures

mag395

this is my first tank. It is a 29 gallon FOWLR tank that will later be a small reef tank. In these pictures it is lighted by a 65w PC 10k/Actinic.

4 stripe damsel

blue damsel

sand sifting sea star

feather duster

i also have a domino damsel but he moves around too much to get a good picture.
Don't mind the equipment in the top right hand corner. It runs my protein skimmer for now. All of it is coming out except for the power heads when my H.O.T overflow gets here.
What do you guys think?

mag395

About 2 weeks. It's great. Fun to watch and it does a great job on the sand bed.
Doesn't seem to like light too much. During the day he buries himself in the sand, surfaces, moves to a new location, and buries himself again. If he's not doing his usual thing, he stays close to rocks or in the shade. He does most of his cleaning during the night. When I get up in the morning, the sand is immaculate and I can see the multiple star imprints in the sand at the different places he's been that night.

mag395

Well, I just found out that Sand Sifting Stars don't do well in home aquariums, especially small ones. Crap! My friend has a 210gal with a filthy sand bed, maybe he'll want him...

pcinmd

Originally Posted by mag395
Well, I just found out that Sand Sifting Stars don't do well in home aquariums, especially small ones. Crap! My friend has a 210gal with a filthy sand bed, maybe he'll want him...
Yeah I only asked that question cause I had one in my 29 gal. tank until it ate everything in my sand then died! Hope this doesn't happen to you.

T

tampausmc

nice looking tank........good rock work....
I'm working on my first tank as well....had it almost 2 months.....good luck

mag395

Yeah I only asked that question cause I had one in my 29 gal. tank until it ate everything in my sand then died! Hope this doesn't happen to you.
The star just has to last until august. I hope he'll make it...
How long did yours live?