First Tank!

R

roylgranpa

What do i have to do to set up my new tank. I've only had fresh water tanks before. Please tell me everything that i need and need to do.
:help::confused:

mujtba

hello,
what size tank do you have?
you need a filter, wet/dry would be nice. i have an amiracle sl-5 hangon filter. it comes with a skimmer too. my tanks 55Gals.
you need sea salt for the tap water.
you need gravel made for saltwater tanks.
you need an hydrometer to test the salinity.
you need a test kit to test ph, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc.. preferably once a week.
once you mix everything up, you should just let the filter run for about a day. then you can ONLY put damsel fish in it, but many people suggest to put a frozen shrimp in the tank instead of livestock. because it takes up to 4 weeks for the tank to cycle.
im fairly new at saltwater tanks also, month to be exact, so im learning each day too. i did love one thing with my freshwater fish, they are MUCH MORE stronger than saltwater. my friend has an oscar and he didnt change the water or filter for 6 months, and guess what, the oscar is alive and eats and enjoys himself. if saltwater fish did that, how neat would it be?!?
you pay an arm and a leg for saltwater fish, then you can end up losing it in a week and the LFS wont even give a warranty on saltwater fish, only freshwater!!!
anyhow, i decided to try this for 6 months, and if my fish keep on dying, i will go back to freshwater. but i have to give up nemo... sigh

otradnoje

Originally posted by roylgranpa
What do i have to do to set up my new tank. I've only had fresh water tanks before. Please tell me everything that i need and need to do.
:help::confused:

Buy a book like the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner, then read it, twice

crome

best thing to do is TAKE YOUR TIME! i did it the hard way and lost alot of live stock because i didnt take my time . read b4 buying!!! good luck :)

yellowtail

biggest rule to salt water hobbyists is NO TAP WATER.........NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!! because it is bad for your tank.

dizzle

I use tap water right now to top off. It seem to have no effect that I could notice not to use it . Although I plan on getting a ro/di unit somewhere down the line.