First Test Readings

goalie66

I set up my 125 about 10 days ago. Just the water, salt, and "dead sand". 8 Days ago I added 45 Lbs of Figi Premium
Cured Live rock and about 50 Lbs of dry base rock. I just tested
today, didn't have a kit until today, here are my readings:
PH 8.2
Ammonia between 0 - .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate aprox 30
Specific Gravity 1.027
I know the S.G. is to high so I've started to slowly drain water
and add fresh water to lower this.
Do these readings seem ok fo10 days into this?
I have things starting to grow all over the rock right now.
Green alge, a small feather duster & I've noticed small
white "worms" coming out of the rock picking things off of it
and going back into their holes.
Thanks for any responses.
Tom

buzz

It depends...did you see any spikes in your levels over the last 8 days? If it has cycled, you should have seen spikes in Ammonia, then Nitrites, then Nitrates.
Ammonia should read 0.
Adding the live rock helps. A lot of people recommend putting a raw shrimp in the tank to help the bacteria get started.
Nitrates are a bit high for a tank with nothing but live rock in it. That may just be because of the cycle, but if so, I'd wait a little longer.
Fan worms, and other critters will come out of the live rock. It's actually really fun waiting to see what will pop out next.
Also, check your phosphates and alkalinity.

shnookums

IMO, I think your still cycling, because you didn't have a kit earlier on you weren't able to see the "spike". No problem, just read in your test kit about the "cycle" it will give you info on what happens. I think it would be best to wait it out for another couple of weeks or at least until your reading 0 across the board for at least 2 weeks. until then test every other day and keep notes so you can watch the cycle. you may be in the middle of it now, but your waiting for the zeros.
good luck, keep us posted on your progress.:)

goalie66

I'm in no hurray to add anything & when I do it will be slowly.
I wish I would of had the kit all along but I will keep close tabs on
the readings which I plan to take everyother day.
I've had salt water b4 but it's been awhile so I know about
cycleing, I;ve just never had the rocks and would like to keep
crabs & shrimp and the like this time. Last time it was
an undergravel filter with a Lionfish, Panther Grouper, and a
snowflake eel. Lived very long but this was over 9 years ago.
Tom

john franklin

COULD TAKE UP TO 8 WEEKS- TEST EVERY OTHER DAY AND WAIT FOR THE SPIKES- THEY WILL HAPPEN AND I DOUBT THE ALREADY DID IN 10 DAYS. GET YOUR SALINITY RIGHT AND WAIT- DO NO WATER CHANGES FOR THIS COULD PROLONG YOU CYCLE- I HAVE SEEN CYCLES THAT START WITH NITRITES THEN GO TO AMONIA - JUST THE OPOSITE OF THE WAY IT USUALLY GOES. IF YOU STARTED WITH ALL FRESH STUFF, FILTERS, SAND, ETC. THEN YOU WILL BE WAITING AWILE. I HAVE STARTED TANKS WITH FULLY ESTABLISHED BIO BALLS FROM MY MAIN SYSTEM AND STILL HAD TO WAIT 5 WEEKS.
GOOD LUCK AND BE PATIENT