First time Lion Fish owner

aw2

It is normal. It's shedding it's "slime coat". This will happen when the fish is stressed, has come into contact with parasites, etc.
Nothing to worry about.
How new is he, what size tank, what type of filtration and what tank mates?

harmon

He's a baby and we got him lastnite. He's by himself in a 26 gallon bow front for now, its very temporary, in a month or so he will be going into a much bigger tank. Either a 120 or a 210. Our wedding is this Saturday so we just wanna get by the wedding fiasco before getting into that. We have a bio wheel in there for filtration.

aw2

He's just stressed. Do you have anything available for him to hide in...rock, PVC pipe, etc?
It's normal for them to shed their slime coat every once in a while.
I have a 15" Volitan Lion that sheds his every few months.

harmon

We have a rock in there for him. Maybe he's just lonely. When we bought him he was in a tank with another baby Volitan and a really big one. You have a 15" Volitan? WOW!! How long did it take for it to get that big? He seems to watch me, its funny, when I fold laundry he sits there and watches me and then when I walk around he follows me. What do you feed yours? Ours seems to be eating fine. So far we have given him minnows and Ghost shrimp and he hasnt refused any of it. I'ld like to get him off of live food. So we're gonna try to give him frozen clams. Any sugestions? The LFS we got him from was trying to feed them Jumbo Min but he has no interest in it.

danedodger

I'd stay away from feeding him minnows. They say that feeding a saltwater creature freshwater fish will damage their liver. It seems to be up for debate still and lots of people still do it but I figure if it MIGHT be dangerous to them and there's definitely a healthy alternative why take the chance? Just give him anything small and meaty. Fresh frozen seafood is good. If it's too big you can always chop it fine or pulse it in the food processor for a bit till it's the right size for him.
The more aggressive types of fish do seem to watch their owners more and learn to recognize them. I saw several lionfish in one store in Austin that would actively display begging for food whenever a person walked into sight of them. It was really impressive and gorgous!

aw2

Mine is aprox. 8 years old and every bit of 15" lol His dorsal spines are over 6" long. He eats whole squid, octopus, salmon, grouper and various other fresh ocean fish.
Anyway...DaneDodger said, it's not good to feed the freshwater fish, as it WILL cause liver disease.
You can get yours to the point where he'll recognize a "feeder stick" as "it's time to eat!!" lol Every time you pick up that stick, he'll be there, begging. Try sticking the shrimp on a skewer or hold on to it with a small set of tongs. Once he's used to coming to the stick or tongs, for food, then you can try offering other frozen foods.