First time Oceanic Biocube 29 Gallon

Glewfish

Hey everyone

I am finally getting a small saltwater tank and I am super excited for it. I already have a 90 gal freshwater tank that I enjoy very much but I always wanted salt and figured a small biocube would be great to get started with. I went down to my LFS and got a quote with everything I need for it and here is the list:
Oceanic Biocube 29 gallon
Koralia Nano water pump 425 GPH
ML Precision Heater 150W
Carib Live Sand
Oceanic Biocube Skimmer
Deep Six Hyrdometer
Chemi-pure elite 6.5 oz
Instant Ocean 50 Gallon

The live rock I am already aware I need to get it is they just do not put it on this quote, Need roughly 1lb per gallon. Was wondering what you guys think of it and is it good, bad, or just right and do i need to add anything

jay0705

Welcome to sw now run away! !!! Lol
29 by sw standards is small, it's harder to keep it stable over a larger tank. Such as a 75. More water volume you have the longer it takes stuff to get outa whack. The more time you have to catch it.
as for your list, live sand isn't needed, get dry its cheaper. Instead of a hydrometer I reccomend a refractometer much more accurate.
What are you looking to keep? Fowlr, reef, ect?

lmforbis

What Jay said. I'd get a smaller heater. I use 50w heaters on small tanks. If a 150 gets stuck on it will cook everything very fast.
Other things you will need
A source of reverse osmosis deionized water (RODI). You can buy it or buy a system for about $150-200.
You will need test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate initially to monitor the progress of your cycle. Once the cycle is done you will also want to have tests for phosphate, calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, and pH.
I'd also suggest a good book or two on saltwater fish keeping..

What are you planning to keep? In a 29 gallon you can keep maybe 4 small fish (adult size) depending on the fish. Are you planning fish only or reef? That will affect what you choose to buy.

I'd also invest in a small tank 10 gal, heater, and hang on the back filter. For a quarantine tank. All salt water fish should be quarantined for 30 days to prevent diseases from getting into your tank. There are a number of diseases fish often arrive with that will spread and kill fast. If one gets into your tank you'll have to leave it empty for several weeks for the parasites to die off.

lmforbis

Decide what kind of corals you want to keep. That will dictate the kind of lighting you need. If you want SPS corals or an anemone yo will need much stronger lighting than if you want zoanthids and mushrooms.