Fish Catastrophe, What is killing them - Please see pics

M

marineang

Below is my original posting from today. Since then I realized it might be marine velvet. I haven't slept at all tonight and I've been so upset. I didn't realize that I was going to turn the lights on this morning and see the following:

The Gramma, the one that was obviously in trouble yesterday - dead
Cardinals - looking worse than yesterday, breathing hard but still swimming - not sure if you can see from the pics I am posting, but there is red on them - looks bacterial almost.
Yellow Kole - Yesterday was fine, this morning, COMPLETELY covered
- see attached pics, he's thrashing around at the top of the water and then sinking to the bottom breathing SO hard.
Puffer has almost no color to him and laying on the bottom
Chromis have the white debris on them that the Cardinals do
I can't find my firefish at this point
My black clowns look completely unaffected.
PLEASE HELP ME, I'M REALLY BEGGING
How do I try to save the remaining? Is there a shot?
I just don't know if I could ever do this again, this is horrific, and I feel to blame even though I attempt better care of these fish than anything else.
*****This was my earlier posting today******
Not sure what to do...(help)

[hr]
Please, please...if you read this - please comment.
Hi guys,
What a day, lost my diamond goby but now this problem is bigger. Different tank issue now - my 75g homes my Royal Gramma, amongst others, who seems to have come down with quite a case of itch - today is the first I've seen of it. She's thrashing herself against rocks and has a while film with speckles all over her - same is actually starting to happen with 2 of my flame cardinals. Also my Yellow eyed Kole has been losing his color, but activity and eating are both normal - that could be anything. All were qt'd so I'm sure what has caused it but onto my issue...
My qt tank already has someone in it, only 6 days in, still 5 more weeks to go. My other 14g homes 2 aggressive fish that don't get along with anyone else besides each other so I'm lost as to how to proceed. I don't want to treat tank with rid ich b/c I know that will ban be from corals in the future. Technically because I know they all could have it now, it makes sense to treat them all but I'm just really upset. I'm willing to do anything not to lose them -
Royal Gramma
2 Firefish
2 Chromis
2 Black Percs
1 Yellow eyed Kole Tang
2 Flame Cardinals
1 Whitebelly Puffer
Truthfully, it doesn't matter if I had all just Chromis in there, they are my little buddies, and I don't want to lose any of them. Please advise, what would you do if you were in my position.
I actually considered starting up a new tank - going out and buying a 4th tomorrow and using water from the other tanks but even still, I would hit a cycle and lose time that I know is of the essennce. And then...I'm running out of room for fish tanks in this room.
I'm standing by and REALLY appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks again guys,
Angela
By the way, all water parameters are perfect and salinity is 1.024

rotarymagic

we told you several times.. QT with hypo and copper in a separate tank with ALL fish in it.. you will have to do daily water changes to keep ammonia down.

M

marineang

Leave me alone, I don't need you to scold me. I am posting pictures for the first time to get a determination of what exactly it is, as this newest developed over night.

rotarymagic

KOLE has ICH BAD!!! If you can't get the fish out of that tank, at least put all the live rock in a rubber maid with powerheads and a heater.
then start the hypo process on this tank, I assume this is your 75g? go down to 1.008 SG in 48hours time..please start doing this... it's not gonna be cheap, but I know you love your fish. gotta do daily water changes.. and any fish you already see with velvet, put them in a separate tank from those with just ich as the velvet fish are basically on death row. Ich is much more curable.
If you need rubbermaids or whatever, walmart is open right now!!! you can get powerheads and heaters there too if necessary.

M

marineang

Ok salinity is down to .19...this will be a slow process.
I thought ich had a slow onset...this tang was fine yesterday...this morning, knocking on death's door.
I want to move the guys w/ velvet but I can't. My qt has my baby powder brown, only on day 6, and my other tank has a clown and dottyback, (healthy). If I move the other guys, I'm only compromising more healthy fish.
I just don't think I can do this anymore.
The tang is flailing at the top, almost flipped himself out and then sinks back to the bottom breating extremely heavy. If he makes it through the day I'll be suprised but I will hypo regardless.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by marineang
http:///forum/post/2876800
Ok salinity is down to .19...this will be a slow process.
I thought ich had a slow onset...this tang was fine yesterday...this morning, knocking on death's door.
I want to move the guys w/ velvet but I can't. My qt has my baby powder brown, only on day 6, and my other tank has a clown and dottyback, (healthy). If I move the other guys, I'm only compromising more healthy fish.
I just don't think I can do this anymore.
The tang is flailing at the top, almost flipped himself out and then sinks back to the bottom breating extremely heavy. If he makes it through the day I'll be suprised but I will hypo regardless.
Did you take the rock out? If you hypo rock, you'll nuke it and probably take out everything in the tank too... The display tank is going to require 4 weeks with no fish as thats the life cycle of ich. This will kill everything inside it. Do you have a canister filter or something that you can run on the hypo to hopefully get some sort of biological filtration going in about 2 weeks (in the mean time you'll need to do daily water changes I'm afraid)?
Remember.. you'll get through this. It's not your fault. This happens to almost everyone at some point.

M

marineang

I took the rock out, I just threw it out.
Beth's post about ich says that it can be transferred through any wet surface. I was going to put it in another of my tanks...but not now. It was very little LR anyway, my big shipment was coming for x-mas - guess we'll hold off on that for now.
I took the crabs and snails out, as well as the amenone's.
Your saying DT without fish for that time.... where am I supposed to put them? I thought they were to stay in the DT during hypo

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2876808
I took the rock out, I just threw it out.
Beth's post about ich says that it can be transferred through any wet surface. I was going to put it in another of my tanks...but not now. It was very little LR anyway, my big shipment was coming for x-mas - guess we'll hold off on that for now.
I took the crabs and snails out, as well as the amenone's.
Your saying DT without fish for that time.... where am I supposed to put them? I thought they were to stay in the DT during hypo
Well the hypo in the DT will work, but make sure the sand doesn't get stirred or it'll release die off. I would have stuck the liverock in a rubbermaid personally.. by the time the hypo is complete, the ich will have died off the rock without a host to feed.

premilove

oh man i really hope you get thru this. i never had a case like that in my tanks, i really really hope everything will be ok with no losses. ull have a lot of good help on here good luck!

R

rcreations

http:///forum/post/2877085
There is about 80lbs of live sand
Hypo will NOT work in your situation. Hypo in the DT doesn't work if there's a lot of live sand in the tank. You will run hypo for 4 weeks, even 8 weeks or however long you choose, the ich will be gone, then you will start to raise the SG back up and the ich will come back. I guarantee it! Come back after hypo is done and you've raised the SG back up and tell me if I was right or not.
But please, don't just take my word for it. Do some research online, on other forums, post a question on WetWeb, look into hyposalinity in display tank.

M

marineang

Ok I'm at a loss but just ran out and bought some stuff - here is my plan of attack:
I bought a 29g, the tang, clowns and puffer will go in there and go through hypo, I will use existing water from the tank.
I bought a 10g that the gramma and cardinals will go into - I believe that they have velvet, so per the advice here, I will seperate them.
I will continue hypo'ing both in seperate tanks through the process.
I will just need advisement on what to do with my 75g which will be empty of fish in a few hours. Maybe I should take the infected sand out and start again?
Unfortunately my existing qt already had someone in it, so I've had to go to extra lengths.

subielover

Don't have any advice, but I just wanted to commend you for trying to do the best that you can. Good luck to you.

paxrom

don't make things more complicated than it is
First get all the fishes into QT. make sure these QT tanks have filtration by using some Live Rocks from the old tanks.
Leave the main tank fishless for 6 weeks
Do your treatment (hypo/copper/Formalin) in the QT. If you use formalin, don't dump it in the QT or it will kill the filtration bacteria. Use Formalin treatment in a separate washing tub or bucket.
Best of luck to you

R

rcreations

I think you're rushing things. Healthy fish in a good envirnoment are not gonna die of ich overnight. But putting big fish in a 29gal that is not cycled is gonna make an ammonia spike, even if you used DT water.

M

marineang

I do understand that, and appreciate it, only problem is there is velvet in the tank as well.

M

marineang

Pax, if I use LR in the smaller tanks and hypo - from what I heard that will kill the rock and cause an ammonia spike anyway, so I hear.
I'm using the orignal water and the filter with the media.
The new filter I bought can go in the big tank and it cycle again if it needs to.

subielover

Make sure you keep amquel and lots of mixed water ready to go, because your ammonia will go up with the large fish in a small tank. Just a tip.