Fish choice help

mombostic

I have a yellow tang and a coral beauty that are good buddies. The graze on the same rocks together, and they even stay in the same cave together when they are hiding. I introduced them at the same time, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. The tang is active and good eater, but he doesn't bother the other fish in the tank. I've been very pleased with his health and attitude!:D

cveverly

I really like the Purple Tang. Like others have said the Powder Blue is ich prone.
I have a Coral Beauty, Purple Tang and a Naso Tang in my 125. They were in my 75 until I upsized. They all are fine with each other, the Naso and Purple are best buddies. They follow each other everywhere and they will both eat from my hand at the same time. For the folks that say never more than one Tang it will work but they must not look anything alike. I also feed lots of greens to support all the vegetarians in my tank.
Disclaimer: I have a very unusual situation with the kind of fish and numbers. My wife does not know the meaning of NO MORE FISH so she has really over populated the tank by all conventional thinking. We have 3 wrasse, 5 gobies, 2 angles, 2 tangs, 3 anthias, 10 chromis, 5 clowns, 1 dottyback, 1 royal gramma, 7 shrimp, 1 clam, 5 anemones, blue star, orange star, 2 brittle stars, 3 urchins, 100 snails, 50 crabs, 2 flame scallops, a boat load of corals and a host of other stuff I am sure I forgot.

meg79

Again, thanks for all the help. My big question now is about the angel fish. Is my 75g with a tang going to be big enough to house a larger angel, and if so, could I have my coral beauty in with it?

texasex

Everyone forgot to mention that yellow tangs get up to 8 inches and really shouldn't be in a tank less than 100 gallons! As to the aggression factor, yes, they can be shy, but sneaky. It isn't that they are mean, just territorial. When they are first in the tank, then the other fish are intruding on their turf. Some people insist on getting them before others, and lets face it, we tend to add things as other things die. So, to help with the yellow tang from killing the new additions, try moving around the rocks and plants. This helps to change the tank enough that it might prevent it from thinking it is only his. As for the angel, I don't know a lot about them, but I am pretty sure that most large angels need 100 - 125 gallons miniumum. Don't forget, most fish that you get from the LFS are babies and will get much bigger.

guineawhop

meg if u want a large angle it really depends on how long you want to keep a tang and them together...if the angel is small enough and same with the tang...then they'd be fine for a little while but it would not be a permanent home. so i would suggest one of the dwarf angels. right now i have a queen angel in a 75 but i am getting a 100 gallon tank soon and he's not very big. also the only thing i have in the tank with him is a blue damsel, yellow tail blue damsel, and a maroon clown. alsonot to sound mean to some of the replies, but every yellow tang has it's own personality..same as all fish, but for the most part they are very territorial when it comes to new fish being introduced and i should have mentioned this earlier...new fish introduced that are relatively the same size. of course the tangs aren't gonna care about a tiny fish such as a damsel or royal grammas or goby's. those are tiny fish compared to the tang. but like me and jnj said earlier it is easier to have your fish get along easier if you put the yellow tang in last. also i have a 90 gallon with a yellow tang and a koran angel plus a couple little fish and no matter how many hiding spaces i had they would always square off and they were both around the same size. good luck

meg79

OK. Let me know if there are any problems with this list or if I will still have more room. If I still have room, please suggest fish that would work with these. Thanks!
1 yellow or purple tang
1 coral beauty
2 black & white perculas
1 midas blenny
1 sixline wrasse
1 purple pseudochromis or royal gramma

cveverly

Originally posted by meg79
OK. Let me know if there are any problems with this list or if I will still have more room. If I still have room, please suggest fish that would work with these. Thanks!
1 yellow or purple tang
1 coral beauty
2 black & white perculas
1 midas blenny
1 sixline wrasse
1 purple pseudochromis or royal gramma

In my humble opinion that is a nice list for a 75. Make sure you buy the Perculas at the same time. They may bicker if one is in the tank before the other.
Oh yeah, skip the yellow and get a purple tang. :happyfish

orucco

I am thinking of getting a purple tang for my 75. Are they really reef safe and do they eat bubble algae as I have read?........Thanks.

bseth90

The purple is reef safe. I also have him with a coral beauty and a hippo. It is true that the hippo fights ick alot and with a reef tank there is not much you can do. Cleaner shrimp can help, but the hippos like to weave in and out of the rocks so they constantly scratch themselves. I've tried powders three times in nine years with no luck...the last time it almost wiped my entire tank out...never again. I like the list as well as long as its the purple.

shoogieboo

this thread is helpful...i too am decididng on what livestock i want...i tend to lean toward a powder blue...i really like that one what goes good with that? i really like that majestic angel too....whats good to start out with if your new at this

harlequinnut

If you're new at this, then neither the majestic angel or powder blue tang would be a good choice for you. Better off starting off with some inexpensive and hardy fishes.
I've had this angel for almost three years.

harlequinnut

I bought this PBT about 6 months ago more or less. Other than a few occasional ick break outs, he's eating and doing remarkably well and harass every new fish I add to the tank. I don't know if I should consider this a sucess(yet).

pinktail

What a beautiful Powder blue!
This is what our experience has taught us. To keep an angel and a nice tang, you need lots of hiding place and swimming rooms. You also need top notch water quality. Make sure you have a ground probe, and yes, garlic and vitamin when feeding the fish.
Also, do check to see if your choice of fish needs a bigger sixe tank or not. There are some fish that need at least 125-150 gallons, especially larger angels and tangs.
We have in our 150 right now:
1 tomato clown
1 Klunzinger Wrasse
1 Blue throat trigger
1 Cheveron tang
1 Goldflake Angel
Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you, Meg, no matter what you put in you tank.

shoogieboo

so whats a beautiful fish you would recommend for beginners with a tank my size? something thats a little bigger than a clown

harlequinnut

My first fish when I upgraded to a 55 from my old 20 was the huma huma trigger, that and a couple other mild manner triggers like the blue throat would be a nice first fish. I also like the foxface, it's hardy and colorful, just be careful of the poisonous fin on top.

shoogieboo

i can hardly wait i'm just as excited watching rock lol....looks like everyday i see something new....mostly it was mushrooms but today i noticed a little feather duster thingy lol.....its small but awesome....