fish compatibility

X

xnikki118x

[X-posted to the reef discussion forum]
I'd like to start adding more fish to my 29-gallon "reef-in-progress" and am looking for active, colorful fish that don't get too big.
I'm interested in a neon dottyback and a firmandi pseudochromis. I've read that firmani pseudos are also known as "orchid dottybacks" and I've also read that you shouldn't mix dottybacks, but will they be okay since they're different species? I'm worried about compatability issues, especially in such a small tank. :notsure:
I'm also absolutely in love with purple firefish and clown gobies. I'm looking for an active sand-sifting goby, but the only ones I've seen get like 5 or 6 inches long, and I wouldn't be able to keep that big of a fish.
Any suggestions are very much appreciated!! :joy:
Livestock list, etc for the record:
1 palse perc, 2.5 inches [will be going to a friend if she gets too big]
1 coral beauty, 1 inch
1 cleaner shrimp, 2 inches
10 or so blue-legged hermits
5 scarlet hermits
20 or so turbo/astrea snails
1 green brittle star, 3 inches in diameter
1 purple tree leather
3 green shrooms
1 purple shroom
about 40 lbs of dead/live sand (mostly dead being seeded)
around 30 pounds of live rock?
about 10 pounds of dead rock being seeded
2x 65 watt PC lighting (one 10k, one actinic)
emperor biowheel filter

ophiura

Well, with the coral beauty and clown, I only see 1 or 2 small additional fish. I think you could have issues with the two dottybacks just because of similar shape. You would have, for example, lots of trouble with a bicolor dottyback and a royal gramma - much less related than the two dottybacks. So personally, I wouldn't risk that combination. I wouldn't see a problem with a dottyback and a clown goby...but start doing larger fish than that and it might get a bit crowded. The 29 is a bit small for the coral beauty, the clown is also sizable, then a dotty back...maybe one of the firefish, goby or sand goby, but, IMO, not more than that.

fishieness

i agree with the above. But IMO the coral beuty should be okay since they are not such active swimmers as long as there arent many other fish in there. But by clearing her up if you are not attachted does give you more room.

X

xnikki118x

So as far as the issues of similar shapes go, would I be okay pairing a neon dottyback with a purple firefish? Their bodies are a little similar, but not so much as two pseudos or a pseudo and a royal gramma. If I add them at the same time, is it a possibility to keep a neon dotty and a purple firefish? I love them both and can't decide. :)
Also, does anyone know of a smaller sand-sifter goby I could look into?
Thanks again for all responses guys!! :D