Fish emergency!!!!!

gksipps

Hubby came home today, found our new puffer (Had him since 5/4) STUCK between the powerhead and tank. Hubby shook him loose, but his eye is all cloudy, like maybe it was damaged, and the porcupines around that side of his eye/head are damaged, like they are pointing the wrong way (like a kid's hair that is spiked in the wrong direction - sticking up and toward the front of his head, not laying down flat)
Will he die? Is he now blind? I live in the country - not close to any good fish stores... closest one is maybe 40 minutes away... what do I do? Please please help, I love my little puffer - I had just taught him some tricks this past Monday and yesterday he ate shrimp from my hand! I would like to save him, even if he does end up with only one eye... don't know why or how long he was lodged in there, sorry! What do I do???? He appears to be swimming around fine now, not floating around or anything and if he never swam to the left side of the tank you wouldn't even be able to tell...
(I know someone will ask, so fish only, no reef, tang, puffer, clown in tank currently. 90 gallons)

sterling

I'm not making any claims as an expert, but if your tank indeed is fish only, no LR, no inverts etc. you would be able to medicate if necessary. Don't rush out an get anything, watch the eye. Cloudiness could be just from the trauma and the eye trying to heal itself. If it starts looking fuzzy, like something growing on it, then you may want to go get some sort of anti-biotic to put in the water. I don't think the spines being out-of-line is any big problem. At worst they may fall out and then re-grow.
I know with freshwater fish, for eye infections there are products that you dab directly onto the eye, I don't know about saltwater fish for that.
Good luck, hopefully someone else will have some words of wisdom for you. And remember, porcupine puffer eyes can always look a little hazy, and that is normal.