fish food just sits there

aldiaz1221

i have a 65 gall ac. tank and everytime i feed my fish they eat well i dont think im over feeding them i feed them flakes once a day and frozen marine food once a day for my butterly any the food that they dont eat it just sits there on the sand bed and it looks ugly i try to clean it up with a net but the sand just goes everywhere and my water is starting to cloud a bit. what do i do to get all the left over food out ?

ophiura

1) Feed less - I definitely don't think you need all that food. What are your inhabitants?
2) Get a good clean up crew including nassarius or ceriths, conch, and perhaps some others depending on your substrate type.
However remember that these animals don't make the food magically disappear, so it is critical to watch your feeding.
What are your water parameters, specifically nitrates?
And by the way...
WELCOME TO SWF!!!!

aldiaz1221

i have only three hermit crabs one butterfly(racoon)one clown three dammsels how much and how often should i feed.

kevine6678

I only feel my fish lightly twice a week. Don't feed more than what they can consume in a couple of minutes. And believe me, they won't starve so don't worry. Feeding too much just adds food that won't get eaten but rather decompose as well as additional fish wastes that will simply end up raising phosphates and nitrates causing ugly algae.

S

sexyshrimp101

I personally think twice a week is not enough. Every other day seems to be a good amount as far as feeding goes.

S

sexyshrimp101

Also, just read in a thread that Bang Guy states that you should not feed flake food or anything that floats. Flake food also compromises water quality.

aldiaz1221

Originally Posted by sexyshrimp101
http:///forum/post/2596145
Also, just read in a thread that Bang Guy states that you should not feed flake food or anything that floats. Flake food also compromises water quality.
thank you very much