Fish food

dana&pj

I posted this in the reef room but I'm not getting much feedback I sure would like some input.
What are you feeding your fish/inverts.
I have been using Frozen shrimps (mysis and brine with HUFA), as well as bloodworms and zoo plankton. I also add DT's per directions.
I understand it's possible to make a better food from stuff from the fish dept at the grocery store. What do you think of this?
I understand there are times when you shouldn't eat oysters, does that go for fish too?
If I can make a better fish food that is also cost effective I would be very excited about that?
thanks!

saltymist

Define "better"!
I know of people who make up fish food from their local grocery seafood department. They use up all kinds of junk, like squid, scallops, shrimp, and blend it up into a slurry and then lay it out on waxpaper to freeze in single sheets, then break off what they need. But I dont know 1 person that has taken their home made food into a lab to have it tested for protein content, fat content etc. :notsure:
Personally I feed mostly mysis shrimp (so all the hermits get something) once a week, the rest of the week I feed Formular 2 flake food, for $5.99 a jar of formula 2 goes a long long long way, compared to buying 5.99 worth of seafood in my grocery store which wouldnt buy a whole heck of a lot.
I like to vary their diet occasionally too with things like brine shrimp, frozen krill etc. But I like convienience, and I dont like fishy smelling house, so it's pretty much flake food for my critters 90% of the time.