Fish for dirty sand bed

leopard_babe

I have 3 chromis in my tank, and 10 snails.
I am going to add a fish this week.
Today I noticed I have 2 dead spots in my tank, that seem to be collecting food and such. I have tried moving my powerheads, but due to my rockwork, it is going to be a problem.
Is there a fish, invert, cuc member, that will keep my sand clean??

spanko

Do you have Nassarius and Cerith snails? Great sandbed sifters. Alos at water change time or actually anytime take a turkey baster and lightly blow the food into the water column for removal by water change and filter.

cablebox615

You can try getting a diamond Goby or a sleeper goby. I had the same problem before I got my diamond goby. Now my sand stays clean. I also have about 15 Nassarius. I also am getting 15 more comming tomorrow. I'm also getting some Cerith, a sand sifting star and a sea cucumber. The all are a good choice. I couldn't pass up $.39 Nassarius and $.39 Cerith snails. Pm me and I will give u the site.

leopard_babe

i have astrea (sp) snails. my glass is spotless. my sand not so much. lol
I like gobies i had one in my old tank with a pistol shrimp. Just those 2 types of gobies, or are other gobies "sand cleaners"??

al mc

I have had the best luck with the Diamond gobies. They work hard all the time and are quite entertaining.

mantisman51

Hermit crabs would take care of the uneaten food in a nanosecond. When I feed frozen brine shrimp in my 130g tank, they go nuts.

rotarymagic

If the tank was a 75 or bigger, a kole tang or another related bristletooth tang would love a nasty sand bed.

spanko

IMO you should not get and you should do more research on the sand sifting starfish. They will decimate the fauna in the sandbed over time and quite possibly leave it barren.

leopard_babe

I will have to research a little on diamond goby. I had a scooter blenny in my old tank and he did an ok job, but i was looking for something different.
Thanks for the help.
My tank is a 46 bow.
Always wanted a kole but my tank is to small.
I have not heard many good things about sand sifting stars. I thought those got really big??

sman

You dont want a SSS, they eventually die because they run out of food, and yes they do get big. I like Nass snails, usually are pretty good about keeping the sandbed clean. But gobies are "supposedly" good for stiring up the sand bed and eating things out of it. But ive only had a yellow watchman witch is not what your looking for for this application.