Fish for my 55

aqua39

My tank has been cycling for over two months now and I now it is ready for some real fish (other than my damsels). I was thinking along the lines of 2 B&W Butterflyfish (Bannerfish), 3 clowns (either orange skunk clowns or false perculas, both tank bred), and one other type of larger fish (either a tang or a dwarf angel). Do any of you have any suggestions as to what I could get as this last fish? Does this sound like a reasonable number of fish or am I overdoing it? Thank you for your help!

viper_930

You are overdoing it. Don't get the butterflyfish, they should be in larger aquariums. Only 2 clownfish, if you get more than 2 all will get killed except 2. A dwarf angel will be ok. You will still have a bit moer room after this, anything else you were thinking of?

bot587

Butterflies are not a good idea without at least a 75 gallon IMO (dont want to be flamed lol)

aqua39

all the places i have looked at claim that the butterflyfish i am looking at are ok in tanks larger than 50 gallons. Are there any tangs that are okay for a 55?

aqua39

I am looking for a bigger fish (more than say 5 inches fully grown) that can be kept in a "school" (just two of them). That is why I was thinking the butterflyfish. Oh yah, and just in case you didn't know, I am getting rid of my damselfish.

aqua39

I am thinking two clownfish, two firefish, and 1 flame angel (in 6 months). Does anyone else have any suggestions?

*bta*

the firefish have to be a pair other wise they will fight... not sure but i think thats true

aqua39

i heard that as long as the tank is big enough they will get along. SWF says they like to be in small groups.

alison

:happyfish Maybe a lemonpeal angelfish. They sometimes have purple around their eyes, and are Very pretty. Just make sure you add angelfish at the same time, and added last if you do decide to go with angelfish, as they are delicate, especially flame angels. Lemonpeal's are a bit more hardy. You could get a SMALL butterfly species if you wanted, but that would be pushin it. Butterfly's are kinda like tangs and need a lot of free swimin space. Good luck, ali

otradnoje

I have a Pinktail Trigger, 2 purple chromis, & a citron goby.
I'm planning to add a midas blenny and a lemarcks angel, and maybe an indigo/blue hamlet.
(and for all the 'fish-size police' I'm well aware of the adult sizes of all the above fish and their requirements. I should make this my new signature ^__^)

aqua39

ok guys, check this:
3-Blue Reef Chromis
2-Ocellaris Clownfish-Tank Bred
1-Flame Angel
I am planning on getting them in exactly that order with the Flame Angel last after about 6 months. I am VERY tempted to get a yellow tang, but I want more input on the subject. I have a 55 gallon with a lot of swimming space and a lot of hiding places as well. So what do you guys think?

aaron1983

I would drop the butterflies and one of the clowns. Replace them with an angel mabye coral beauty, rusty, lemon peel, or flame, mabye add a cardinal and a firefish. Just my opinion.