Fish for nano

bones

I plan to setup a 5 gallon nano in the future and want to have a blue yellow-tail damsel, are there any other fish that would be ok in that size tank with it, like a Perc Clown, Firefish, or Goby?

Since you adding a damsel , I would just add 2 and call it good. Though you could add a couple of hermit crabs, but i wouldn't go much more than that. The damsel might pick at a fire fish in such close quaters.

benj420

You could have one of any of the fish you listed, but not any more. Anything other than 1 fish and you are pushing the bioload too much. I wouldn't put the damsel and one of any of the others together in a 20 gallon tank, they are just too mean.
I have one yellow bellied blue damsel cycling my 5.5 gallon right now and will take him out and replace him with a perc clown when it's all cycled.

i don't thik it's a good idea to have any fish in a tank that small! you'll already be pushing it once you start adding corals to the tank. don't forget, it's harder to keep a 5.5 gallon tank stable then it is to keep a 10 gallon stable and so on.

dundar

A few years ago I ran a 5 and a half gal. reef tank I had one harliquen shrimp and 6 lbs LR with a Pengiun 125 on the back I would feed the Harliquen shrimp one starfish a week and it ran fine till I had to move and the Harliquen Shrimp died in the move. I did a 1 gal water change each day and used water from my old 55 gal. reef tank to refill it. I loved that tiny little tank on my computer desk.