Fish in Copper no need QT??

tranman777

I've been thinking of this for quite some time now and need to ask to get the answer for it.
I have an LFS that holds all their fish in copper tanks, (which means no ich).
So...If I bought them home and put them in my DT that has no ich...doesn't that mean QT to prevent Ich is NOT necessary?
Can I actually bypass a whole month of QT?
Logically, I'm moving an ich-free fish from an ich-free copper tank to my ich-free DT tank..so no ich has been present, right?
I know my DT has no ich..I'm going on my 3rd week of being fallow.
3 more weeks to go.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by tranman777
I've been thinking of this for quite some time now and need to ask to get the answer for it.
I have an LFS that holds all their fish in copper tanks, (which means no ich).
So...If I bought them home and put them in my DT that has no ich...doesn't that mean QT to prevent Ich is NOT necessary?
Can I actually bypass a whole month of QT?
Logically, I'm moving an ich-free fish from an ich-free copper tank to my ich-free DT tank..so no ich has been present, right?
I know my DT has no ich..I'm going on my 3rd week of being fallow.
3 more weeks to go.

Nope, not at all. LFS's run copper through the water, but copper does not kill ich on contact. It still takes several weeks for it to die. You still have to qt your fish. Buy him now. You still have 3 weeks to go for your DT to be clear anyway. Let your fish stay in qt for 3 weeks. Both should be fine at that point, assuming your potential fish does not have anything on him. If he does, then you will be glad he is in a qt tank!

lion_crazz

As Sepulatian said, the fish still need to be quarantined. Copper takes 2 weeks to kill ich, and it must be maintained at the proper levels. Plus, LFS' get fish all of the time. There is a potential for ich to be reintroduced into the system every time the LFS adds fish to the system.
Definitely quarantine your fish and you will be very happy to be absolutely sure that you have a parasite-free display tank.

tranman777

Sep and Lion,
Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah. you guys have a point there. :thinking:
It takes 2 weeks to kill ich using copper and doesn't kill on contact. darn.
Well someone should invent a cure that kills ich on contact. Like Black Flag.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by tranman777
Well someone should invent a cure that kills ich on contact.
I agree. Then again though, one of the most important and most difficult qualities in this hobby is patience. Unfortunately, the best way of doing anything is the patient way.
If you have any other questions, never hesitate to ask them!

earlybird

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Plus, LFS' get fish all of the time. There is a potential for ich to be reintroduced into the system every time the LFS adds fish to the system.
So running copper is pointless at the LFS why do they do it? Sounds crazy.

lion_crazz

Using copper in the systems is done to reduce the ich in their system. Any LFS knows that it is nearly impossible for them to run a parasite-free system all of the time unless they quarantine all new arrivals. But that would be impossible unless the store was tiny and did not get many fish in on a regular basis.

mr. limpid

I'm still looking for that perfect store that QT there fish b4 we buy them. When I win the lotto I'm going to open this store.

tranman777

Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid
I'm still looking for that perfect store that QT there fish b4 we buy them. When I win the lotto I'm going to open this store.
Unfortunately, in the sales world, "time is money". LFS wants to move fish out as fast as possible to make more room and money.
I'll say it be4, and i'll say it again. Ich SUCKS!! :mad:
3 more weeks to go for my empty DT tank.