Fish keep dying

nemo4tater

ok i HAVE TESTED LEVELS AND ALL, THIS WAS MY THIRD BATCH OF FISH... LEVELS WERE ALL FINE FOR THE THIRD TIME, PUT THEM IN , WOKE UP IN THE MORNING THEY WERE ALL DEAD. sO NOW I HAVE CHANGED ALL THE WATER SCRUBBED TANK OUT, CLEANED EVERYHTING AND STARTED OVER. ANY IDEAS WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED ALL THIS?

nicetry

More info please; What type of fish? How many is a batch? How long has the tank been set up?
Can you post real numbers for your water paramters? Saying they are fine doesn't tell much, and include salinity and pH in those figures as well. Also, how are you acclimating the fish to your tank?

nemo4tater

ok, aMMONIA, NITITE, NITRATE ALL 0. ph I BELIEVE WAS 8.2. sALINITY WAS IN THE NORMAL RANGE, CANT REMEBER EXCAT NUMBER, WATER WAS 78 DEGREES. LIVE ROCK IN THE TANK, CRABS. POWERHEAD.
WE STARTED WITH 2 DAMSELS, ONE DIEED, ONE DID VERY WELL UNTIL I GOT AN UNKNOWN FISH THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A TANG, BUT IT TURNED OUT TO BE A VICIOUS FISH THAT ATE THE BLU EDAMSEL.
I LET THE TANK CYCLE THROUGH FOR ABOUT A WEEK OR SO AND GOT 2 CLOWN FISH AND AN ANEMONE.
PUT THEM IN THE TANK AFTER LETTING THEM GET USED TO THE WATER FOR 3 1/2 HOURS . THEY WERE FINE, SWIMMING PLAYING, THAT WAS FRIDAY. I WOKE UP SATURDAY AND EVERYTHING WAS DEAD. CRABS, ANEMONES, EVERYTJING.

greatfullreefer

Originally posted by Nemo4Tater
I LET THE TANK CYCLE THROUGH FOR ABOUT A WEEK OR SO AND GOT 2 CLOWN FISH AND AN ANEMONE.

Cycling a tank takes 4 - 8 weeks, during this time there should be no live creatures in the tank. An anenomie requires a very established tank IMO a year or more and very powerfull lights.

nemo4tater

NO no no, the tank had already cycled.. its been up for about 3 months or so, I meant i let the tank take a break between fish.

dalerich

EVERYTHING WAS DEAD. CRABS, ANEMONES, EVERYTJING.
Anemones can produce toxics when they die. If you are killing damsels and crabs then you are doing something wrong. Damsels are one of the more hardy fish. IMO I would tear down and clean everything. Make sure not to use Soap. I would then start over again and recycle the tank. Toxics in the water can be from sealant used on the glass,bad water(Chlorine), soap,and even chemicals added to the tank that say they are safe. I know this sounds bad but take a sample of water to the LFS now and have them test it for everything. Copper and etc. stuff that are not in the standard test kits. This might give you a clue what going on. Crabs can die from lack of shells to move into, Damsels can die from stress with a tank mate that's trying to eat them all the time, and anemones can die from lack of good light or changes in water condition. Toxics can kill everything even algea. Hope this helps.

ophiura

Please also note that writing in all UPPER CASE is considered yelling, and is definitely a turn off for many people :) You may find more replies without it.
How exactly did you scrub out your tank? USing what?
Quick deaths of fish with no apparent water quality issues usually relates to toxins:
No dechlorinator
painting
cleaners (windex, lysol...in area or on tank)
carpet cleaners (if you can smell it, it can be in the tank)
Using kitchen sponges to clean tank (big no no)
Lotions, soap on hands
But if you scrubbed out your tank...you may very well now need to let it recycle. But if you cleaned it with anything more than some white vinegar and water and an aquarium pad or clean cloth...then there could be more trouble down the road :(

scottwol27

Originally posted by Nemo4Tater
I HAVE CHANGED ALL THE WATER SCRUBBED TANK OUT, CLEANED EVERYHTING AND STARTED OVER. ANY IDEAS WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED ALL THIS?

This might have been the problem scrubbing it out and starting all over again...and changing all of the water.IMHO i would have changed about 25% of it and kept it on moderate watch.....let us know how tihngs go
thnaks scott