Fish losing color

900dublr

I have a few questions as my tank has been running a little over a month. Last night my girlfriend noticed my 2' yellow tang back in the corner of my tank lying on the bottom. It basically had no color it was really white. My yellow tail damsle looked the same. The lights had been turned off for quite a while. Do fish lose color without light? I quickly did a water change thinking that would help and I turned the lights back on to check everything out. shortly after the fish finally got some color back and began swimming as they were fine. Also I noticed severel insect looking things on the my lr and on my protein skimmer. I wish I had a picture but they hid when i turned the lights on. They were about an 1/8th in long with several legs. They were white with antenas I believe. Im gonna look around and see if I can find some pictures on the net. My other question was concerning my lr. When i bought it from my lfs It had alot of red algae like stuff on it now it is flaking off. Its a dark maroon color. One piece had some dark black and brown places on it I assume from die off. Is the rock dying? When will It start to grow coral algae? Sorry for the length, I would appreciate any help.

reefeel

Is the tang alright now cause if so it could have been sleeping, most fish lose their color at night-not sure why but I'm sure some people here know. My Tang-when it was alive turned a pastel yellow, and my eel turns to a grayish and his markings blur. Hope your fish is okay:happyfish. And the creatures you found could have been bristle worms.

andrewt

It's Stressed! Thats what happened to my old yellow tang. After that it died. So feed it seaweed!!!!!!!!!Don't let it died! 100% stressed

gilpil

I agree that it is stressed. Unfortuately I cycled my tank with damsels, and I put in a YT about 2 weeks after my cycle was done. Fish really do not like young tanks, all of my fish would lose color at night and would look very bad. Now that my tank has been up and running for quite a while, they never turn as pale as they used to, but still do lose some color at night.

900dublr

fish are doing great so far. I think it was just where they were sleeping. Anyone have any idea on the lr or the creatures?