fish may not be doing well

iidylii

well....looks like my large male lyretail anthias might be deciding hes had enough...been in my tank 9 months now and I just got back from vacation yesterday and for the last 2 days he hides in the rocks 90 percent of the day and when I feed the tank he comes out and swims around for a few mins without eating then goes back to hiding again until the next time I put food in at which point he again swims around but doesn't eat...everything else in the tank eats great so idk...kind of what my mag fox was doing a month ago when I had some bad food...he was on a very different feeding schedule while I was gone only eating once every few days until I got home but everything else is doing just fine so I doubt that's it...hurry up and wait to see what happens I guess :mad::(

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Not unusual for fish to go a bit crazy when you are on vacation. Was someone else taking care of the tank? How long were you gone?

What are the water conditions in your tank, size tank?

iidylii

I had a family member feeding them but we're only fed 2 times in 4 days I was gone compared to what would have normally been 8 times if I was home...but like I said all others are fine...it is a 180 gallon system overall...93 gallon DT...my parameters are what they always are...80 water temp, 35 on the refractometer, 0 amm 0 trites 8/8.2 ph...like 50 for trates but mine are always that high...like I said...pretty much same params for the past couple years...hopefully just a little shy from me being gone

iidylii

the fish world can be so frustrating...what in the world causes a fish to just say oh well I guess im gonna just give up and die...I realize this happens to everyone but why is that? Every other fish in the tank looks amazingly healthy eating like a pig...then one day this guy just says yeah I think im done now...been a few days now and he still wont leave the little cave that hes in even when I feed now he doesn't even come out in curiousity...just waiting to die I guess

jay0705

Lol ha ha it happens to all of us. Anthias are tough bc of there need to be fed so often

iidylii

so is there maybe an all purpose treatment I could just do on the DT for the anthias? he still wont come out of the rocks and still hasn't eaten...and just 2 weeks ago I did a 50 gallon water change so there so be no reason to do another really

iidylii

I also know the girl that watched my house that weekend used a bunch of cleaner and what not on my tables and furniture..i would think my water volume would be enough to not be bothered by that unless of course you dumped the bottle in there...if my ph tests out ok does that mean likely is the chemical thing not in the water or would ph not pick that up? just a thought

iidylii

well the anthias finally died...crabs are having a feast tonight it looks like...that leaves both my female anthias left...I would assume one of them will now take the roll of the male anthias

iidylii

lost one of my tiger gobies when I got back from vacation as well but just found him in the sump and now he is back in the DT eating just fine...my fox on the other hand is really really annoying...he goes up and down the tank walls about 4 hours straight every single day and I can see him out of the corner of my eye and it drives me crazy! lol never used to do that before I left for vacation

iidylii

This may be true although it doesn't seem that way because when I go sit on that side he goes to the other side and continues his up and down lol...wish there was a trick to make them stop lol