Fish only lighting

urodude

Have 360 gallon fish only tank with an artificial coral reef structure
I want to keep it as low maintainance as possible as regards algae. I want to avoid having to scrub the fiberglass reef to limit the finish coming off over many years.
How much light do the fish need for their health, as in watts and hours
I have a 6x 96 watt aqualight pro fixture, currently with 4 bulbs on for five hours a day and the moon lights on the rest of the time.
A brownish algae has grown on the top of the coral insert and to a lesser extent on the rest of the sculpture. I have 3 yellow tangs, a hippo tank and a foxface, and they pick at the algae at times, but prefer the green sheets I feed them a few times per week.
Any recommendations out there?

jacknjill

you dont need any kind of lighting for fish to be healthy. just so you can see in the tank. you only need fancy lights for reef tanks

saltfan

You need a cleaning crew. About 20 mexican turbo snails, I would think do the trick with the algea. A few Queen Conchs, maybe a few others, they will take care of the light work for you.

urodude

The fish won't eat the snails or conch? In additon to the tangs, I have a picasso trigger, asfur angel, emperor angel, sweetlips, cuban hog and maroon clown.

saltfan

With regards to the trigger, maybe. But if you want the help, you might just want to try it.