fish only question

sepulatian

Any angel needs to be able to pick at the live rock. Skip angels. Clowns would work, damsels, chromis, a hawk, you will have to look for fish that don't hide and don't enjoy rock work, and exclude those that eat from the rocks. That would remove from the list angels, anthias, wrasses, and the dottyback. Most of what you have still need hiding spaces. Clowns like a safe haven that is just theirs. The rest of your list is damsels, which will claim the entire tank. They will fight for every spot in the tank. Without MANY territories, you can expect the fights to cause death. I am sorry to bring the bad news, but in that sized tank there are not a lot of fish that you can keep with no rock, little rock, or without plenty of decorative hiding places. Small fish do not just cruise the open sea. They are small so they like, and need, the comfort of hiding places.
You sold your other fish because you were bored with them??

R

rcreations

You should consider putting in at least a few live rocks. All fish enjoy picking at the rocks, why completely deprive them of this? There are some really cool looking live rock you can pick. I think it'll be good for the fish and make your tank look better.

debbie

Hello, well after some long thought I have decided to put the idea to rest. Buying all new live rock, sand etc is just way to expensive here. I do love this hobby but it is very costly too. I understand what you all have said in your replies and truly appreciate it very much. I would want the best for the fish and this tank is just not going to work.
I sold everything from my previous 4 yr old 10 gal due to the size the corals had reached in there. I never had a crash etc and did they ever grow so I must have done something right.
Fish were very limited in this tank but I had fun with many different types.
Going to a bigger tank was not an option and is still not one.
My 30 gal is currently home to my 2 beautiful Cobalt Blue Discus which I could never part with. They are truly a real show piece in this tank in our livingroom.
This was a question for later on if I ever did want to start up this tank as Saltwater again.
Instead I am going to just keep my 1 gal pico going, love love love this little tank and having alot of fun with it. I give it more attention than any other tank I think.
So thanks for the replies I truly appreciate all your opinions.
Here is a pic of my pico.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2761597
My 220 fish only is a true fish only, not a bit of live rock. I use lace rock, a decent amount of bio balls (not too many), and a good skimmer, and all is well.
I would love to see a picture of your tank aswell as I would like to set up a fish only tank.

debbie

I have decided to keep the 30 gal as my freshwater tank. I don't plan to change it to salt. The only salt tank I have is the one above, my little pico. I just love it. I have just upgraded it to a 2.8 gal just for a touch more room as I love the green star polyps and have to keep cutting them back so they don't touch other corals in the little 1 gal so this 2.8 gives them a bit more room and I can let them grow right out on the rock they are on. I am just int he midst of adding more rics to my tank as well and will post pictures soon.

hammerhed7

I found some pics of the fish, but haven't found a full tanks shot yet. The tank is built into the wall of my bar in my finished basement, and the bar and trim is done in an older style, so when I set my tank up I wanted it too look "old school" so I used a wet dry sump filter, an ASM skimmer, and a UV sterilizer. Inside the tank there is lace rock, and a large red fake coral, I chose red so that when it gets covered in algae it still looks natural. I may start adding live rock to the tank, as it does make the water more stable, but the tank has done very well over the last few years. I always do my water changes on time, and never overfeed.
For your 30 you will do fine with a power filter (Emporer, etc), and be sure to use r/o water. I would recommend doing 2 smaller water changes a month, about 10-15% each change. A skimmer would be great, but is not an absolute necessity. Unless you are going with a sump, you could use a hang on skimmer, I have never used one but I am sure someone here could point you in the right direction.

locoyo386

AWSOME, really looks like what I would want (maybe a BIT bigger, bit exactly the view i would love to have in a game room). Thanks for posting the pics.
As far as the 30 gallon set up. In my opinion it would work just fine. Maybe with a marron clown and green chromis along with the yellow tail. I would definetly not put a 3-stripe one, they are very mean IMO.

mony97

Hey dont know if this thread is still going but i thought i would give it a try, i was wondering what the silver and orange striped fish was shown in your picture hammerhed7? or if anyone knows i would love to know, very cool looking fish.

cal559

Originally Posted by mony97
http:///forum/post/2864654
Hey dont know if this thread is still going but i thought i would give it a try, i was wondering what the silver and orange striped fish was shown in your picture hammerhed7? or if anyone knows i would love to know, very cool looking fish.
Harlequin Tusk the Australian species are more colorful