Fish stay on one side of tank

trunkster

I have a FOWLR 40G tank and my 4 fish stay on one side of the tank.
False Percula
2 Firefish Gobies
Blue Hippo Tang
Is this normal, on the other side of the tank is a powerhead that swivels left and right, there is also an adequate amount of rock on that side of tank.

spiderwoman

Your clown will pick a spot and pretty much stay in that, same for the Gobies. Your Hippo is in a tank that is way too small for it and it's probably stressed out. If I were you, I'd take it back to the LFS.

trunkster

The hippo is only 1 inch and is doing just fine, once it outgrows the tank it will be moving to something bigger.

ryno_mn

Trunkster,
People are trying to tell you what you need to do to keep your tank "healthy" not just survive. You absolutely need to listen to the people on this board and for the majority of the time they are 100% correct. The minimum tank size is 70 gallons, and most will say 100 gallons is the minimum. Their adult size is up to 1 foot. So your tank is absolutely too small for a tang period. Just cause it looks fine now doesn' mean it is. How long have you had it? You can measure success is this hobby by years not weeks or days. I don't mean to be too harsh, but do the fish a favor and return him to the LFS and get one when you get the bigger tank. Sure your tang may live for a few months like that but it won't be a happy fish.

hammerhed7

try alternating where you add food, or you can get a tank 1/2 the size, and then they will be in the middle

crimzy

Originally Posted by OSUaquarist
http:///forum/post/2606439
You could redo your aquascape to break territories and maybe get the fish to move around more.
I completely disagree with the above. Never take advice on any subject from a buckeye.
Go blue!!

aquaferg

I had the same thing happening for about three months. All my fish were bunched up on one side of the tank. I even tried to change up the feeding to the opposite side but it didn't work. They just went back to the left side after feeding. I redid my aqua-scape and it worked like a charm. Mow the fish love the whole tank!

aquaferg

Originally Posted by Ryno_mn
http:///forum/post/2603591
Trunkster,
People are trying to tell you what you need to do to keep your tank "healthy" not just survive. You absolutely need to listen to the people on this board and for the majority of the time they are 100% correct. The minimum tank size is 70 gallons, and most will say 100 gallons is the minimum. Their adult size is up to 1 foot. So your tank is absolutely too small for a tang period. Just cause it looks fine now doesn' mean it is. How long have you had it? You can measure success is this hobby by years not weeks or days. I don't mean to be too harsh, but do the fish a favor and return him to the LFS and get one when you get the bigger tank. Sure your tang may live for a few months like that but it won't be a happy fish.
Hoodie Hoooo!!!!!!! (International signal for "Warning, tang Police in the area")

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by Ryno_mn
http:///forum/post/2603591
Trunkster,
100% correct...there is very little gospel in this hobby imo. Great advice yes, but I don't think most is that black and white. I say 1" tang a gogo in that size tank, but it may not be...little bugar might want to stretch its legs a bit more, but maybe just fine...Too many variables and different fish personalities...no clear answer (100%).