Fish suggestions???

jrandolph1

We were givien a 55 gal tank with a skilter which we have saltwater and a cool looking empty barnicle cluster in. We already have a 180 reef set up so I thought we could do something different in this small one but I don't know what. For some strange reason, my husband wants to stick a Mantis shrimp in it because he thinks they are cool looking. I told him I thought that was alot of room for one little shrimp cause you couldn't put anything in with it unless you just wanted to see it get eaten. Is a 55 too small for a mini lion fish and a Mantis? Would those be compatible tank mates?
Any suggestions would be nice.

edwar050

a dwarf lion would be interesting, I think setting up a tunnel of clear pvc and a starboard bottom would be awsome if you were to keep a moray in a 55. Why not set up a 10 gallon for the mantis? There are many options with the 55.
The skilter will most likely not be enough filtration or flow. You should get at least 550 gallons per hour 55X10 for an agressive FOWLR tank though I would shoot for more like 1000+. You could get a dwarf zebra lion, snowflake, and a valentini/hawaiian puffer but would need alot more flow.

jrandolph1

ooops! I put down 55 gal when I meant 25 gal. Is a skilter ok for a 25? Thank you for the reply. I am unfamiliar with a starboard. Is that some sort of under gravel filter?

edwar050

starboard is basically cutting board that is used instead of sand so it makes it easier to siphon out the crap at the bottom of the tank. This is good so the rock wont tumble over and crack the bottom of the tank. Skilters are not great filters but are better than nothing. They are good for running carbon and increasing water flow. I still think you need at least 1 good 300 gallon per hour powerhead with your skilter to have decent sucess as long as you do regular water changes. A 25 is an entirely different ballpark than a 55. No dwarf lions though I guess you could possibly do a fuzzy. I would question a snowflake moray as well though a small one would not hurt if you planned on moving it later. A valentini puffer could make it in a 25 but would be cramped.
A wrasse would be a nice addition but if your trying to do it cheap then I would just throw a couple of damsels in it, they can live through alot more than most fish.

jrandolph1

We put a blue damsel in it yesterday along with a couple of snails. I would use it for a QT but we already have one. I was hoping for a more spectacular fish as I am not a big damsel fan but something is better than nothing. Do you think a couple of fairy wrasse would be okay or would I need to upgrade my equipment? Thank you for the suggestion.

edwar050

I am not very familiar with wrasses just know they are a beautiful small tank centerpiece fish. I would think though that wrasse may be somewhat incompatable with damsels as they are both bright colors depending on the type of damsel. I would take out the damsel and take it back for credit... I think a pair of wrasses would look really awsome. I would also think about finding a cheap overflow box/pump and throwing in a 20/10 gallon as a sump as this would help you greatly without much of a skimmer, it would also allow for more storage considering tank size. A 20 below would give you roughly 35-38 gallons of water which would help alot with filtration etc. and you could grow macroalgae which would help feed the tank and remove unwanted phosphate. Tanks without skimmers I believe are alot harder to keep. You may also want to check out cheap jebo/seaclone skimmers as they can be modified by gluing the output shut, adding a 90 elbow + some pvc tubing, and cutting the U tube to the skimmer chamber making them more efficient and sumpable. Thats what I have done with my cheap jebo bc I cannot afford a really nice skimmer. Its so much better in sump bc I dont have to worry about it leaking-