Fish Tank algae

scorpioed65

magfloat sounds good but how do I stop it from growing again? Im a busy guy and cant do it daily. The fish tank, glass, is about a year old.

small triggers

if you cant take 30 minutes to run a magfloat over your 3 sides of your glass tank, then obviosly you arent taking the time to maintain it properly. Have you tested you water parameters lately?

bcollett

I'm new to this hobby and have been fighting algae of all colors. The things I've learned thus far are...
1: Increase the water flow in the tank.
2: Don't use old Bulbs in your Light Fixtures.
3: Nitrates are probably high.
Also check the phosphate levels.
If you increase the water flow in the tank it will help hold all the food and any other particles in the water long enough for the filter to suck it up. Without good flow everything will just settle on the rocks or sand and eventually start contributing to higher Nitrate levels.
I have a 90g Tank and I've increased my water flow to about 2000gph and its helped slow the algae down a lot. Plus I shortened my photo-period for the meanwhile. I only have my lights on for about 8 hours out of the day. And make sure your light bulbs are new.
Good luck. I know what a pain algae can be

naclh2o nut

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2957449
It takes seconds to run the magnet across the glass.
It should take seconds, but if you are like me. Then it could lead to hours, look a new creature where did he come from, quick get a pic, post it on SWF, wait for reply, look it up research it, what do I feed it, is there more, lights right, etc...

[hr]
Wait, what what was I doing?
Oh yea the glass

shyfish

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/2957470
It should take seconds, but if you are like me. Then it could lead to hours, look a new creature where did he come from, quick get a pic, post it on SWF, wait for reply, look it up research it, what do I feed it, is there more, lights right, etc...

[hr]
Wait, what what was I doing?
Oh yea the glass

Me too