Fish That Are Not Prone To Ich

bigcheif

What are some fish for a 29 gal tank that are not prone to ich. I was thinking about getting a Flame Hawkfish and clown or black cap basslet. Does anybody have any good suggestions.

happyvac

Generally fish that are not prone to Ich are generally those that are not easily stressed out and IMO those that are smaller (there are several exceptions to this, but bear with me)
For instance, Tangs are some of the most common Ich sufferers because they:
A) Get pretty big pretty fast
B) If that wasn't enough, they swim a LOT, and a small tank does bad things to 'em
I believe fish like Chromis, Damsels, Clowns and Gobies are good for that size tank, as they don't grow too large and are generally pretty hardy.
Keep in mind, Damsels with other fish can cause a lot of stress because they are often fin-nippers. Just a thought.
Good luck

lion_crazz

There are no fish that "are not prone to ich". Any fish can get ich if you do not take care of it properly, provide a healthy system for it, etc. etc. Provide every fish you get with the proper care and you will greatly reduce your chance of failure. Know about every fish you purchase before you purchase it and you will be much better off, I guarantee you.

boalgf

I disagree with lion_crazz on this. There are definitely fish that are not prone to ich. Eels and dragonets seem impossible to infect. I've also noticed some of the slimmer bodied fish (Psuedochromis, fridmani) hardly ever get it. On a scale of 1 to 10, with tangs being a 10, I'd say most smaller fish like what I listed and chromis/damsels are a 3. Eels and dragonets being a 0-1.

mrdc

I think all fish are suceptible to with some being much hardier than others.
From Bob Fenner:
Dottybacks are moderately susceptible to marine ich, but easily cured with copper and specific gravity manipulation.
My tank has had ich for months and the only two fish that seem to not be able to knock it out is my blue tang and blenny thought they look a lot better now. The clown, anthia, yellow watchman have never shwon any sign. The dominos have shown it but act like it doesn't ever bother them.

mrdc

I've seen triggers in the store with ich but like what was already said, they are hardy.

lion_crazz

I have seen many fish with ich, even the listed pseudos, blennies, dragonets, gobies, and triggers. However, like stated, they are usually less likely to get it over tangs, angels, etc. I don't thnk that means we should be listing them as "not prone to ich". The reason I said the following quote is so that the original poster does not get any wrong ideas about the fish he reads are "not prone to ich".
"Know about every fish you purchase before you purchase it and you will be much better off, I guarantee you."
If he were to go buy a mandarin now, that would be great because it might not be neccessarily prone to ich, but now he has a fish that is going to starve to death. If he were to go buy a SFE, that would be good too because they do not get ich either, however, now he has a fish that will get way too big for a 29 gallon (same with the trigger). Even though it may seem that some fish hardly ever get ich, if you were to let your water quality get bad enough with ich present, the fish are going to get ich. Also, if we were to list "blennies and gobies" under this umbrella of "not prone to ich", the original poster may think that all blennies and gobies are fine for his tank then. In this case, he may go out and buy a scooter blenny, or a lawn mower blenny, or an engineer goby, and not have the proper tank for the fish he purchased.
So boalgf, you were definitely right in saying that there are fish less prone to ich. I (erroneously) only said my original sentence in my first post so that the poster did not get any wrong ideas and just go out and buy a fish because it was less prone to ich.

boalgf

He didn't ask which fish were immune to ich. He asked which fish get it less. We all answered accordingly. He does need to take in to account tank size of course so good point.

drea

buy any fish you want... hypo it...... then u'll never have ich!!!! spread the word, it worx very well! ***)

rcbruce

wow. Been here, done this. I learned the hard way. Unless you are really experianced, stay away from the tangs. I wish I had the money back learning that the hard way.

Contrary to what I've read alot, my coral beauty is without a doubt the toughest fish I own. I also have an armored covered three spot goby that laughs at ich. Six line wrasse and a pink-belly wrasse that fought the good fight and won.

drea

once again, get any tang u want, they are the most beautiful fish in my opinion... just hypo them first for like 6-8 weeks (as long as you are patient and can wait) this worx wonders and u will never ever have ich again

clown123

SCOOTER BLENNY! mine hasnt had it once and i had heavy ick in my tank for a month straight he was always perfectly healthy i ha him for about 6months now n hes a very happy fishy!

alyssia

I have a blackcap basslet that seems to have ich ALOT, even though my other fish never get it. Catching a basslet to hypo is NOT fun!

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by drea
once again, get any tang u want, they are the most beautiful fish in my opinion... just hypo them first for like 6-8 weeks (as long as you are patient and can wait) this worx wonders and u will never ever have ich again

drea, while this is true, hypo or no hypo, the tang is not going to live long in a 29 gallon. Maybe it is not the best idea to be telling the original poster to "get any tang you want". Then, after the person gets a tang and doesn't have ich, he will have a post "Fish That Are Not Prone to Lateral Line Disease". We as posters should break the cycle before it happens.