Fish that are "venomous" or have teeth in the home aquarium

reefforbrains

The list is quite beholden to the individual as risk can very greatly depending on the situation.
Biggest words of caution should be on Box Jellyfish and Blue ring octopus as they are typically fatal.
Lionfish, scorpionfish, and particular others with quills or spines can pack a punch but generally won't actually risk death should a situation of an attack arrise.
Obvious risks with larger or more aggressive fish such as sharks or some eels are present in the hobby.
Pull up a chair, this will be a long thread.........

reefraff

I think the fatal fish such as the blue ring or cone snails should be illegal to posses. Too dangerous. As cool as a blue ring looks it just isn't worth taking the chance.

aw2x3

I think as others have said...common sense is the biggest factor. With how common Lionfish, Scorpionfish, etc. are...if they were that big of an issue, they wouldn't be so common. I've had close up, hands in the tank, experiances with Blue Rings...without knowing they were in the tank and wasn't too happy when I found out they were in the tank...regardless what others think, I'm not stupid.
Teeth...well, that's a different story. I used to hand feed my adult Hawaiian Dragon and she was a puppy dog. My friend, James, hand feeds his Stonefish and numerous species of larger Scorpionfish. Some called us crazy...some called us brave...we called ourselves experianced.
My basketball sized Lionfish used to roll over, belly up and let me rub his belly. Times like that, I couldn't refuse. I knew it wasn't gonna kill me...
But, who am I to talk, I keep big Constrictors and a giant, 7' Monitor in my house...some call me stupid. I call myself experianced, yet have fun with it.
Common sense...it'll get you very far, in life.

K

kikithemermaid

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/2993288
My basketball sized Lionfish used to roll over, belly up and let me rub his belly. Times like that, I couldn't refuse. I knew it wasn't gonna kill me...
That's so cute!

renogaw

I just put my foxface in the tank, and it rubs up against my arm whenever i'm fiddling with the corals.

reefraff

Lion fish can be pretty docile but even if you mess up and get tagged it isn't a big deal.
I don't know why people take foolish risks just for a thrill. What is the fish dish that has no room for error, blow fish. If the person preparing the dish makes on tiny mistake you are poisoned.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2993444
Lion fish can be pretty docile but even if you mess up and get tagged it isn't a big deal.
I don't know why people take foolish risks just for a thrill. What is the fish dish that has no room for error, blow fish. If the person preparing the dish makes on tiny mistake you are poisoned.
Its called Fugu. Blowfish sushi... And that is why that chefs that prepare it in Japan have to be licensed to serve it.

makoshrk2

Just repeatadly poke yourself with these type of venemous fish , that way you will build up a good tolerance and it won't bother you as much.LOL

cranberry

I have lots of venomous fish. It's not that easy to get hit.... Same risk as gardening. Somewhat like a beesting with the potential of a reaction.
The wasp fish I have is a bit more venomous, so he get more "respect" than the others.