Fish that don't hide!

swlover

Hey guys I would like an opinion on what fish (besides clowns, I already have them in one tank) are good "friendly" fish..that actually like to swim around and NOT hide. I have 3 tanks..one has a pair of clowns, 1 has a royal gramma..this is the one who hides constantly..it's very annoying..should I get him a tank mate to get him to come out? And what is the best mate for him/her? People look into the tank and always ask me how come i never have any fish in there lol..oh it's a 15 gal tall..so what other fish can I put in there that won't over crowd? Thanks all opinions welcome..I'm not picky on fish..anything will do.

peeperkpr

Well, I just got some pajama cardinals (they're so tiny!). I haven't put them in the tank yet (they're acclimating as I type) but every time I see them in other tanks, they're hangin out at the front. I got three so they'll school a little.
I also just got a freidmani dottyback, which will probably hide just like your gramma, but it's kinda cool to have a few in there you have to look for. If they were all just always out front, there would be nothing to keep peoples interest in actually looking at the tank for a while. While they look for the hiding fish, they'll see more interesting things on the rocks, etc.

swlover

I realize that..and I like looking in my tank, but would be great to have some action going on once in a while. I have seen those, they are cute. Thanks for the sudjestion.

mrdc

My anthia, clown, blenny and neon gobies never hide. The regal tang is becoming less skiddish. The most skiddish ones are my damsels and they are the meanest..go figure!

swlover

Oh thanks..yea I have heard that about damsels...Maybe my Gramma is mean thats why he hides lol! but he has no one to fight with! I like blenny's I might get one of those, if he bothers him I've got another tank to put him in..I don't know why he is such a chicken..but if I feed him he darts out real quick and back in he goes..thats the only way I know he's alive! good thing I see him then..or I'd be taking the tank apart everyday to find him!

T

tizzo

For me it's an african flameback, and my neon goby (who has passed
) but those fish never hid.
I also have a clown goby and he hides but he hides out in the open. He hides in the coral branches but you can always see him. He's so stinkin cute.
And Chromis... they stay out also.

swlover

Originally Posted by Tizzo
For me it's an african flameback, and my neon goby (who has passed ) but those fish never hid.
I also have a clown goby and he hides but he hides out in the open. He hides in the coral branches but you can always see him. He's so stinkin cute.
And Chromis... they stay out also.
So sorry to hear about your fish.. I had a puffer for about 7 years and one day a friends child poured her kool-aid in the tank..cause she thought the fish would like something to drink! It killed my puffer instantly..poor fish didn't know what hit him! Ain't it funny when they are like hiding but you can still see them..especially if it's a big fish behind a little object..it is
cute! Thanks for the sudjestions...I'm wrighting these down so when I go looking I'll know!

james983

I have a clown Goby too, great little fish. He sits right on the mantle of my clam most of the time. Theye stays small so they wont add much to your bio load.

N

n_sarno

I have a Bangii Cardinal (SP) They are very nice looking, and it NEVER hides.. It just kinda floats around and checks stuff out at about the midlevel of the tank. Moves very slow until feeding time he flys all around the tank. I didnt like it at first, I thought he was boring, but I think he is really cool now, and I like that he hangs out right in the front where everyone can see him, not to mention the fact that they are very different looking so everyone comments on him :)

jon321

How long have you had your fish? Usually takes a month or two for them to feel completely secure in a tank. And on that note, what about a small wrasse like a 6 line or similar, they are active and dont really hide. I also give my vote to cardinal fish, although get ones that have been at your lfs for a while, as they are a nocturnal fish in the while, be easy get accustomed to daylight activity.
Jon

jacklax

My Pajama Cardinals like to lay low until the lights get dimmed. I have been eyeing a sixline wrasse at my lsf...he just cruises around constantly checking stuff out...could be a good addition.

mrdc

Originally Posted by Jacklax
My Pajama Cardinals like to lay low until the lights get dimmed. I have been eyeing a sixline wrasse at my lsf...he just cruises around constantly checking stuff out...could be a good addition.

Is there anything in the tank for it to hide behind? Most stores I see very little objects in the tanks so people can see the fish. Once you get it and put it in a reef tank, it may hide at first but should be fine after he becomes accustomed to his new surroundings. I like 6 line wrasses too!

a&a2

I have a cleaner shrimp & it's awesome--always out cleaning the fish. It's real colorful too. I'd stay away from damsels--the stress the other fish out cause they're bullies

jacklax

Originally Posted by mrdc
Is there anything in the tank for it to hide behind? Most stores I see very little objects in the tanks so people can see the fish. Once you get it and put it in a reef tank, it may hide at first but should be fine after he becomes accustomed to his new surroundings. I like 6 line wrasses too!
Their tank is packed. It has a full blown reef with all sorts of rock, corals, etc. The wrasse could easily hide, but he's constantly checking things out...very inquisitive.

mrdc

Their tank is packed. It has a full blown reef with all sorts of rock, corals, etc. The wrasse could easily hide, but he's constantly checking things out...very inquisitive.

Sounds like a buy!

jacklax

Don't twist my arm...lucky for me, my wife doesn't hold inventory in the tank all that often...I can sneak some things in there periodically and she doesn't notice. If she does...she gets another pair of shoes.

mrdc

Don't twist my arm...lucky for me, my wife doesn't hold inventory in the tank all that often...I can sneak some things in there periodically and she doesn't notice. If she does...she gets another pair of shoes.

I've been noticing my wife with new jewelry...hope she hasn't found a sugar daddy!

nemo's mom

My Sailfin Tang actually comes up to the glass when he sees me. He taps on the clip which is my signal that he would like some seaweed...He's pretty awesome!

yimmy

doesn't swim around alot but is interesting and would be up front, a jawfish. you need a DSB though