Fishless Cycle with Ammonia

cgog2112

I have a question for you. I'm doing a fishless cycle in a 12 gallon nano. I have about 6 lbs of cured live rock and 6lbs of dry rock. I'm into my 3rd week. I'm able to convert 4ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. When it's at zero I re-dose to 4ppm. The problem I'm having is that my nitrites are off the chart and are not lowering. I'm using API master test kit. I did a 50% water change last night and this morning the nitrites are still off the chart. IIs there anything you can suggest for me to do. I decided today to only dose 2ppm.

mr. limpid

What are you dosing with to get ammonia? Why are you not just using a raw shrimp? Basically your ammonia consuming bacteria started first so they have a step up on the nitrate consuming bacteria (personal I think they are slower at converting) The ammonia converters are converting faster than the nitrate consumers, it about a 10 day period for the bacteria to multiply enough to consume the extra ammonia or nitrates. How are your nitrites? And yes I would lower the amount of what ever you are dosing with to a very small amount just to keep the ammonia bacteria going.

cgog2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/394531/fishless-cycle-with-ammonia#post_3511501
What are you dosing with to get ammonia? Why are you not just using a raw shrimp? Basically your ammonia consuming bacteria started first so they have a step up on the nitrate consuming bacteria (personal I think they are slower at converting) The ammonia converters are converting faster than the nitrate consumers, it about a 10 day period for the bacteria to multiply enough to consume the extra ammonia or nitrates. How are your nitrites? And yes I would lower the amount of what ever you are dosing with to a very small amount just to keep the ammonia bacteria going.
Im dosing with "Ace janitor pure ammonia" My nitrites and nitrates are off the chart. It's been like this for a week now. I would have expected to see the nitrites start to decline. Will that eventually happen? Should I stay the course by dosing 2ppm a day until the nitrites hit 0ppm?
Thanks

mr. limpid

I didn't find your brand but the one I did find say's to monitor the ammonia and nitrates not to let them go over 5ppm. So check your ammonia levels if they are over too then stop dosing and wait. the bacteria will do there job, still do water changes every 2 weeks and when all three hit 0 you are ready to add a fish. You have time to set up a QT tank cycle it like your DT but monitor the levels.

cgog2112

I read somewhere that the Ace brand of ammonia was the one to use, no surfactants. Thanks for the advice. I think I'm midway through the cycle. I can convert 2ppm of ammonia in a day. My nitrites and nitrates are off the chart. Just waiting for the nitrites to start dropping. Takes forever I guess.

mr. limpid

Yes patience is what I have learned from this hobby. Never jump to any sudden changes to your tank and all your creatures will thrive.

cgog2112

I see you're in Illinois. I'm in Chicago. I'll check out World of Tanks later on. Love war games.

mr. limpid

LOL I'm in Chicago now. Later I'll be out in Plainfield. A good shop is Old Town Aquarium or Golden Aquarium. As for world of tanks my name is the same as here.

cgog2112

Mr. Limpid,
I came home tonight and tested everything at zero. It seems like I've cycled. Check params tomorrow and probably do a water change. Just curious to what a good specific gravity for coral and fish would be? I'm currently at 1.022 (hydrometer) Eventually I'll buy a Refractometer.

mr. limpid

Yes a refractor is the way to go. I use to use the swing arm and found out that it was off by .06 not good for coral. The big blue is at 1.026 so that is what I keep my tanks at, for fish only systems not required as high.